Still New Here, Bare with me

PiL71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
How can I get her to eat Kale, she breathes, like a huff, at Kale and then walks all over it. ???

That’s her smelling it, if she doesn’t like it she won’t eat it. I just say Kale because it’s what Herb (my tort) enjoys the most. However, you can try dandelion, or really any other broad leaf dark green weed.

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Okay, PERFECT, Thank you so much for your honesty on the flower shop. I will Not call, I promise!

Also, thank you for the care sheet, I will print it and hang it on my fridge, so everyone knows!

Also, a cuttlebone shouldn’t be the main source of food for her, it really shouldn’t be a thing that you ever feed to her as a food. It should be a thing that she gnaws on in case she needs a bit more calcium. Most of the time she should just ignore it, but it’s good to have it just in case. No need at all to get 5 lbs worth of cuttlebones ahhha

drew54

Indiana
I can't get her to eat Timothy hay at all :( Someone, I forget who, told me to get Sod.
No worries. As long as she is eating grasses, weeds, and broad leafy greens as the bulk of her diet she will get the nutrition she needs. I wouldn't feed cucumber, corn, or celery. Cucumber and celery are mostly water and provide no real nutrition. Good for hydration though.

What is her main diet right now?

LittleBit

Louisville
Also, a cuttlebone shouldn’t be the main source of food for her, it really shouldn’t be a thing that you ever feed to her as a food. It should be a thing that she gnaws on in case she needs a bit more calcium. Most of the time she should just ignore it, but it’s good to have it just in case. No need at all to get 5 lbs worth of cuttlebones ahhha

Good to know Thank You deeply :)

LittleBit

Louisville
No worries. As long as she is eating grasses, weeds, and broad leafy greens as the bulk of her diet she will get the nutrition she needs. I wouldn't feed cucumber, corn, or celery. Cucumber and celery are mostly water and provide no real nutrition. Good for hydration though.

What is her main diet right now?

Winter: Main diet is mainly Kentucky Blue Grass. My yard is full of it and I make my son go pick me some everyday. He hates me for it but she likes the grass. Her breakfast this morning was small bit of Kale, shaved carrots to see if she will eat the Kale. And she also eats the Zoo Med Tortoise Natural food from petsmart.
Then at dinner she gets some of my salad. She does that grunting noise til I share. Holidays she gets special food, Accident only but she ate my pumpkin this Halloween.

Summer: She mows my lawn, Kentucky Blue Grass.

bought food.jpg

LittleBit

Louisville
Sod can be bad. You need to watch for chemical use and if store bought sod it will have plastic netting sometimes.

With hay it often works best to start with small cut up pieces. Soak them. Then add a little, sorta like dressing onto what she does like. Slowly add a higher percentage of hay to the mixture. Then you can go without cutting and soaking. In time they are eating hay without knowing it. Some times you have to sneak stuff in, just like with a kid.

Absolutely I agree, the sod, I'd prolly take from my yard since I know for sure she likes it. I will water down some Timmy Hay and see if she will try it that way. Damp. I bought 3 bags of the Timothy Hay, I'd hate to waste it so I will try anything.

Perfect idea, thank you so much, I will try that today for her lunch.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Usually, if you are persistent, you can get them on to new and more appropriate food items. I agree with not wanting to waste the food. Hay is darn expensive.

LittleBit

Louisville
Usually, if you are persistent, you can get them on to new and more appropriate food items. I agree with not wanting to waste the food. Hay is darn expensive.

This is why my son calls her the gourmet chef judge, haha My youngest is rotc army, so he thinks she's just the coolest little bulldozer. He's a picky eater too so he checks with her and uses her as an excuse to skip dinner. He calls her "Nerdette" and when he thinks she's a male, he calls her "Nerdy"

I couldn't get over the amount of strangers that come up to my yard now just to look at her. I get parked cars out front in the summer.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, pictures of my yard and indoors. There is a big fenced in are, also a picture of a lot we are buying, and side yard. My fenced in are is going to be enlarged to cover the whole back yard. It is only about 1/3 of the yard now. I would drive down to pick her up. Or you could meet me half way.
The two salcatas in the pics were pyramided when I got them
@LittleBit