Still gimping..

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
RV is still unwilling to place weight on that back foot. The vet didn't find anything wrong, x-ray was fine, appetite, eyes, nose and ears look good, shell (other than weathering) is stellar......
The foot in question seems to have nails longer than than the one on the other side ~ what do y'all think of trimming tort nails? I know they're supposed to wear down naturally but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Thoughts?

teri

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
You could try using a dremel for cats and dogs.

Also, different terrain and surfaces help. Torts don't just stay on flat surfaces to build those strong little elephant legs.

You could try burying rocks and logs under mulch to walk over, but not too much of a challenge to cause flipping.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Not much chance of her flipping... The yard is uneven hardback, there are 1x1 pavers to discourage digging. I'll look through my studio for my Dremel and diamond disc cutter.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Not much chance of her flipping... The yard is uneven hardback, there are 1x1 pavers to discourage digging. I'll look through my studio for my Dremel and diamond disc cutter.
The sand paper tube one is best for nails in a dremel.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RV is still unwilling to place weight on that back foot. The vet didn't find anything wrong, x-ray was fine, appetite, eyes, nose and ears look good, shell (other than weathering) is stellar......
The foot in question seems to have nails longer than than the one on the other side ~ what do y'all think of trimming tort nails? I know they're supposed to wear down naturally but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Thoughts?

teri
The longer nails are an indication that she hasn't been bearing weight on that foot for a long time. I've never seen this in a sulcata before, but let's consider the possibilities.

1. Insect bite? I wouldn't think this would have such a long lasting effect, but maybe a black widow or bark scorpion sting? Rattlesnake bite? It would take a long time for those nails to overgrow, so this possibility seems less likely. She would have recovered within a couple of weeks tops.
2. Cactus spine or something similar lodged in the foot? This should have been seen by a close examination of the foot.
3. Broken bone somehow? X-ray would have shown that.
4. Soft tissue injury, like a torn ligament? This is rare in tortoises. I've never seen a single case ever, but I suppose it is possible. Only an MRI would show this. This seems like the most probable cause given all the factors.
5. MDB. Not likely. You feed a good diet and your tortoise has daily UV access.
6. Constipation? This would usually be both back legs, and relatively short term. Is she pooping normally?
7. Bladder stone. This too would usually involve both back legs, and would show up on an X-ray.
8. Hair, wire, or string of some sort wrapped around the leg would cut off circulation, and result in the leg dying, but then the nails wouldn't keep growing, and the foot would fall off, so this doesn't seem like a possibility.
9. Thermal burn on that foot? Above ground in your summer is scorching hot. Does she walk on hot pavers, or slate, or something like that?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
The longer nails are an indication that she hasn't been bearing weight on that foot for a long time. I've never seen this in a sulcata before, but let's consider the possibilities.

1. Insect bite? I wouldn't think this would have such a long lasting effect, but maybe a black widow or bark scorpion sting? Rattlesnake bite? It would take a long time for those nails to overgrow, so this possibility seems less likely. She would have recovered within a couple of weeks tops.
2. Cactus spine or something similar lodged in the foot? This should have been seen by a close examination of the foot.
4. Soft tissue injury, like a torn ligament? This is rare in tortoises. I've never seen a single case ever, but I suppose it is possible. Only an MRI would show this. This seems like the most probable cause given all the factors.
6. Constipation? This would usually be both back legs, and relatively short term. Is she pooping normally?
7. Bladder stone. This too would usually involve both back legs, and would show up on an X-ray.
8. Hair, wire, or string of some sort wrapped around the leg would cut off circulation, and result in the leg dying, but then the nails wouldn't keep growing, and the foot would fall off, so this doesn't seem like a possibility.
9. Thermal burn on that foot? Above ground in your summer is scorching hot. Does she walk on hot

9. Thermal burn on that foot? Above ground in your summer is scorching hot. Does she walk on hot pavers, or slate, or something like that?
Tom: my apology for taking so long to reply...

I had a lengthy reply but lost it, so heres the gist: We took RV to our routine vet and he trimmed her nails. She weighed in at just under 91# and everything looked fine and healthy - except for the gimp. We have meds for a month to help with inflammation and pain, we'll use those until they run out, and then consider her needs. He wants her food dusted with reptical twice a week...

This morning she was gimping on the hard pan but walked fine in the area softened by heavy watering. I tried to attach a vid of her walking after we got home, but it lacks the appropriate extension. Here's a pic of a tort pedicure.
That short walk on the hardpan was tentative but normal. 😃 Fingers crossed THIS was the issue.
20230712_091236.jpg

Last edited: