Starting gear and tips?

Munakmama

Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, Oregon
Hello. I'm newish to forum, from oregon.
I've been researching and deciding what tort to get, and finally think I know what I want. Which would be a hermanns tortoise. I love the colors, and I think smaller will work best for me.

I'm trying to figure out what all I need exactly and where to buy. I've got a pretty good idea on the check list. Just where to buy is my start point.

Im thinking I'd like to get a baby, and keep it indoors for the first few yrs, then while that's happening I'd like to set up an outdoor enclosure I'd possible. I'm unsure if it would work with our very moist weather... but if needed I could always make a table. (Though outdoors I feel is always best)

I would be getting the baby next yr. So i have time to set up. Get all the gear I need, make sure I'm prepared, and then find a baby.

Is there a check list for basic enclosure items for baby torts. And good places to buy?

(I'll prolly keep him in a plastic tote or wooden one)

destortoise

VA and WA
Make a list of materials you need for your baby:
-container
-substrate
-UVB
-heating
-thermometer/heat gun
-hygrometer
-food/water dishes
-food
-cover objects
-other fun decorations

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
You are doing it the best way! get all set up and then you can take care of your new tort without worry.

Read as much as you can on this site & you can also get in touch some of the breeders/sponsors to get on a list or order a tortoise.

By buying things & setting up slowly your wallet will also thank you..... you won't have to shell out the big bucks right off the bat.

Best of luck!

Munakmama

Eugene, Oregon
You are doing it the best way! get all set up and then you can take care of your new tort without worry.

Read as much as you can on this site & you can also get in touch some of the breeders/sponsors to get on a list or order a tortoise.

By buying things & setting up slowly your wallet will also thank you..... you won't have to shell out the big bucks right off the bat.

Best of luck!

Exactly the plan =)

I've read the beginner mistakes before, and gave it a look over again.
I have sime stuff i know i want, Like the kind of substrate I want to use I'd coco choir?
An I want to use one of those uvb heat bulbs in one.

Need to compile an exact list. But I have a good idea. Just not sure the best places to buy everything.

Would a hardware store or such be best? Or a pet store. Usually pet stores tend to be kind of expensive though.

I also need to find a good place or person to get my baby from.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
A lot of the items can be had much cheaper at the hardware store than a pet store/website.... thermometers, spray bottles, terra cotta saucer ($2) vs petstore food dish ($12) water dish, light fixtures, plants etc.....

Definitely check in the sponsor and sale part of the site to find a breeder. there may even be someone close to you.