start from seeds or use potted plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjtaylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY, USA
I want to add some plants to my redfoot enclosure, both for supplemental grazing and for aesthetic and humidity reasons.... Would I be better to start some plants from seed for this, or is it ok to pot some native plants and use those as long as they are on the safe list? I was thinking of dandelions for one... And what about organic "pet grass" (wheat grass, I believe) that is sold at a lot of pet stores? Also, does anyone know off-hand if either Lowe's or Home Depot sell any organic redfoot-safe potted plants that I could use? I am using a 40 gallon tank with a cypress/repti-bark mix for substrate, but plan to just bury the pots themselves in the bedding.... How many plants is too many?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would start from seeds then you know they don't have any fertilizer or pesticides on them but you can buy some just wait a while before you feed them to make sure all the stuff is out of them:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Either way you will be waiting. If you grow seeds you have to wait for germination and then time for some actual growth and if you buy potted plants you will have to wait a month or two to ensure all the pesticides have cleared from the plant. Unless you find a place that sells all organic products. You will have to weight your options and do what works for you..Good luck..

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Well - i have found that you can grow plants from bird seed in less than a week - it also works out extremely cheap. Obviously a good proportion succumb to the redfoots culinary preferences - but enough make it to provide quite a nice 'forest' for them to live in ....

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
In regards to the "Pet grass" I believe that's safe for them. As far as I know they don't spray stuff on those because they know cats will be eating it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
FernandoM said:
In regards to the "Pet grass" I believe that's safe for them. As far as I know they don't spray stuff on those because they know cats will be eating it.

I wouldn't think so either, I know we buy it for our cats and give it to them right away and what they don't eat we give to Vegas...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While either works and I do both, personally I prefer to grow from seed, that way I know how they are being cared for ( what chemicals and such are being used)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I personally prefer to start with seeds. It takes more time and work, but you know that your tortoises are only getting organic that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.