Stars mute!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

River14

5 Year Member
A Customs Department official said it was very difficult to detect smuggling of star tortoises through air and sea ports. It could survive without food for days and lacked any vocal expression.

The Hindu National newspaper, after finding an airline passenger with 482 Indian Star tortoise hatchlings in his baggage. The tortoises were drugged and dehydrated to keep them from moving. It took three days for some of them to start moving again the rest were dead!

I see so they are pressing ears against suit cases these days as they are too blind to look at exrays. hmmmmm. Silent baggage gets the all clear.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Oh that is so sad :( my new vet just told me they confiscated about 40 stars from a smuggler. All hatchlings died :(

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Wish they had a legal market for star torts in Thailand. I would gladly pay 10x for a legal, captive bred tortoise.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
YEA THAT JUS PLAIN OUT SUCKS ,im sorry bout wut you guys have to go thru wit your stars,i couldnt imagine my passion being illegal,you are brave for even owning one,ITS A SHAME THINGS ARE SO ROUGH ON EM AS FAR AS SMUGGLING AND THE FOOD AND MEDICINE TRADE,ive read quite a bit about it since i only own stars and im from sacramento i wanted to learn everything i could and now i heard that the burmese are very threatened today in the wild,and the madagascar ordeal is jus a whole other mess due to tortoise appetite and smuggling.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
That is sad news. That's a whole lot of stars. I wish smuggling would STOP! or make security more tight.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
maybe thats what eventually they will have to do is set up captive breeding locations to build back populations but trust me i understand its alott harder than jus that alone ,i hope it get under controll before its to late,

River14

5 Year Member
YEA. The problem is cites seems too slow to respond. Its no use waiting for animals to become on the verge of extinction or vulnerble or what ever, continuous monotoring of species is the only way to tell where they are heading in order to take proactive steps before its damn well useless.

This is not happening for any species. All cites is concerned with is the trading in species. And usualy people or conservationist apply for cites protection when the species is all but wiped out.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
Here it's not too slow but The problem is corruption, smugglers can easily pay and do it over and over again. It is rare to hear officials catching them. I believe it's the same in India.

(A little off topic) :In our country there are protected areas, but money can get them anything :( Just recently they were able to catch 2 people smuggling philippine sea turtles out of the country, sad thing is they were all already stuffed. It was all going to be sold as house decor!

Status
Not open for further replies.