St Louis Zoo - Tour De Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
So this was the ULTIMATE experience! I surprised my tort loving other half with a Tour De Tortoise at our local zoo for our anniversary in May - you get to go behind the scenes and INTO the tortoises enclosure for about an hour for feeding and informational talk. We were literally on display for people at the zoo to watch as they walked past - this was the best experience ever, besides raising our very own of course. Here are a few photos from our experience and I will post more later!! ENJOY!! :D

jl2kvd.jpg

amva7m.jpg

33fg3v5.jpg

2ly20ao.jpg

(This last guy was pretty much blind in both eyes - he became a quick favorite!)

-C

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How awesome that must have been! How much does something like that cost?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Well it was a little expensive.. $50 each.. BUT very well worth it! If someone is willing to let me into their tort farm for a night I will consider that instead next time :) aldabraman(greg) I'm all up for setting up camp w the aldabras.. U think they'd eat the tent or mow it over? Haha!! :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Loved seeing your photos. How amazing that must have been. What a great gift! What a guy!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I bet Greg is drooling right now!:p

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Sounded like a great and fun experience. That's a big bunch of Aldabras!

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
What an AMAZING experiance!!! Do they just munch on the carrotts whole? (If there carrotts?)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Wohoo, what a great gift! (I wish my partner would be that thoughtful!) Nothing better than giving a great expierience and awesome memories!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
tinkerbell1189 said:
What an AMAZING experiance!!! Do they just munch on the carrotts whole? (If there carrotts?)

Yes they feed them whole (huge) carrots - at least when people are feeding them, otherwise I think they get a whole huge mess variety. It was amazing to feed such big tortoises with a carrot and to actually be face to face with them while they bit off each bite. Just had to be careful when the carrot got too short!
There was one tortoise as well that the keeper warned us of as soon as we got there that is super sneaky and you always have to know where hes at.. and boy was he right! You'd take your eye off him for a minute and next thing you know he's right behind you trying to much on your pants! Haha it was great.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Those pictures are so neat! I don't think $50 per person is all that bad for such a wonderful experience. The San Diego Zoo charges $40 for just one ticket for the day- it's something like $99 to do their "backstage" pass.
This makes me wish I lived near St. Louis Zoo :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I will have to see if the LA zoo has something like that,
and FYI I got the first spot reserved for camping in aldaman's yard. :)

Nice pics BTW but I would have taken more,and some video too.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
dmmj said:
I will have to see if the LA zoo has something like that,
and FYI I got the first spot reserved for camping in aldaman's yard. :)

Nice pics BTW but I would have taken more,and some video too.

It would be such an experience to camp there! haha I wish I knew of someone that lived closer to me with that many torts, I haven't seen anyone so far very close to St Louis though.
We have quite a bit more pics and I believe I did take some video, didn't want to bore everyone with some many pictures! :)

Stephanie said:
Those pictures are so neat! I don't think $50 per person is all that bad for such a wonderful experience. The San Diego Zoo charges $40 for just one ticket for the day- it's something like $99 to do their "backstage" pass.
This makes me wish I lived near St. Louis Zoo :p

That is very true.. since I grew up here and never been to another zoo I always forget we are one of the only free admission zoos. I would LOVE to go to the San Diego Zoo though!

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
SulcataSquirt said:
That is very true.. since I grew up here and never been to another zoo I always forget we are one of the only free admission zoos. I would LOVE to go to the San Diego Zoo though!

Free admission?! That is way cool! Do they have donation boxes or something along those lines? Oh man, I'm seriously jealous of you guys hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.