Tortoises at the St. Louis Zoo

CharlieD

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
My wife and I visited the St. Louis zoo on Friday and did their behind the scenes tour with their Aldabras. It was a lot of fun getting to be Aldabraman for a little bit! It is a really great zoo and the keeper was very knowledgeable and informed, more so than any other zoo I have visited. I would definitely recommend checking the zoo out if you are able to, its free and the tours are very reasonably priced.

This group was mostly Aldabras with 1 female Galop, which is the slightly pyramided one in the pictures. They used to keep their huge Amazon Basin yellowfoots with them in years past, but they changed because the yellowfoots were not doing well in a group setting. The keeper mentioned they are hoping to expand their enclosure in the coming years, because they know and want them to have more space. There is an outdoor area but it wasnt warm enough for them to be out there just yet.

I took tons of pictures of the other turtles and torts at the zoo but I didnt want to make this post massive with pics, if anyone would like to see them I would be happy to post more. They had some really niced Radiated and also Spider torts which the keeper said they have been highly successful in breeding.

aldab1.JPG aldab2.JPG giant1.JPG giant5.JPG giant6.JPG giant7.JPG giant8.JPG giant11.JPG giant12.JPG giant15.JPG giant16.JPG giant17.JPG giant 1.JPG giant 2.JPG giant  4.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Good stuff. I do agree they are very confined in there, nice tortoises though. They pamper those yellow foots for sure. Been there since the 1960s. Very old animals.