Sri Lankan Stars

How can I really tell the difference in the babies? There is a gentleman selling two sri lankans but they are still tiny.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
How can I really tell the difference in the babies? There is a gentleman selling two sri lankans but they are still tiny.
Unfortunately you can't. The only stable way of knowing is getting through reputable breeder that has some of the lineage that can from Sri Lanka years backs. Who is the breeder? There is just a handful of breeders that have pure Sri Lankan locale elegans.

He states them as Larry Gaugler lineage. I am not super familiar with the lineages only what brief information I have read but I want to make sure I do not purchase something labeled as something different :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
He states them as Larry Gaugler lineage. I am not super familiar with the lineages only what brief information I have read but I want to make sure I do not purchase something labeled as something different :)
Larry has some of the original sr Lankan lineages, but a lot of people can use his name or Bill Zovikians to sell them as Sri Lankan. Maybe he can get you photos of the adults. Either way they're cool.

Yes he states he bought the parents from Larry 11 years ago but this is the females first viable clutch.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Many fake Sri lankens out there. Just be careful. I would ask for the parents pics and weights.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There is always some risk in buying tortoises sold as Sri-Lanka locale that the seller is not being honest. Unfortunately it is not easy to distinguish between the mainland stars and the Sri-Lankan variety.

I don't know anything about this seller, but I agree with Kelly that if both parents were purchased from Larry in NY then they are pure Sri-Lankans.

Nothing against this seller or any other seller that offers Sri Lankans, but if I were you I'd wait until Larry posts some as available. That eliminates most of the risk.

Well if he purchased them directly from Larry I could just ask him directly if he sold them to this man. They are babies and I would love to raise one or two from baby-hood!

I read that you can tell (well sort of tell) their locale by their size. Could someone remind me of the sizes?

I have had people swear to me that females they have or are selling that are 8-9" are Indian. I am sure so many are mixed now a days that you can never know. People just label them as whatever lol. Had the same problem in the chameleon world.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have had people swear to me that females they have or are selling that are 8-9" are Indian. I am sure so many are mixed now a days that you can never know. People just label them as whatever lol. Had the same problem in the chameleon world.
Yep pretty much. Same goes with leopards, Redfoots, Yellowfoots, hingebacks, Russians, almost every species to be honest. Not many people locale specific animals here. They just breed them and sell them.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I think breeding an Indian and Sri Lanken is acceptable after all they are the same species. I do see why one would want to breed pure lines of them. Breeding a leopard to a sulcata is a whole other story along with all the other hybrids out there. Again just my opinion.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think breeding an Indian and Sri Lanken is acceptable after all they are the same species. I do see why one would want to breed pure lines of them. Breeding a leopard to a sulcata is a whole other story along with all the other hybrids out there. Again just my opinion.
I agree