Squeeking/not eating

FrankieBabe11

i have a sulcata hatchling who is just over 30 days old. We ran into a few issues with his initial enclosure but changed it so that it was better for him (coconut coir bedding and planted some grass). I have been worried about him for a little over a week because he hasn't been eating. I was hoping that his new environment would improve his hunger but it hasn't. It also doesn't help that he sleeps all the time and appears to be dead even though he is very much alive. I am wondering if his lack of eating is due to his small size (because he doesn't need much) or, if it is unhealthy, how I might be able to get him to eat more? Appreciate the advice!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
even small tortoises eat like pigs. So not eating is definitely not normal. What are your temperature is? How long have you had them?

FrankieBabe11

I've had him for 32 days. He ate quite a bit at first but stopped eating so much in the last week. The temperature is usually between 90-100 during the day and around 80 at night.

FrankieBabe11

he also used to squeek and that got better when we changed his bedding but now he is squeeking again and i know that isn't a good thing! help please!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Torts can be very slow to accept new surroundings. It can take weeks for them to decide you and their new home are safe and refusal to eat is not unusual at this time.

A slightly larger hole in the perspex cover might help with basking temperature and UVB. It needs to be 95F/35C directly under that lamp. You may need to lower the lamp to achieve it.

I recommend establishing a routine so that your tort learns what to expect and when.
  • Have the lights on a timer so they go on and off at the same time each day
  • First thing, before your tort has warmed up properly, give your tort a soak for at least 20 minutes
  • While your tort is soaking, clean up the enclosure and place food
  • Pop your tort back in by the food
  • Walk away and resist the urge to watch; you're big and scary at the moment.
  • Leave your tort alone to be brave and explore.

Your tort should start to associate the sequence with yummy food and realise that you're the one that brings it :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Temps of 90-100 seem... Too warm. How do you take your temps? Can you post few pics of your enclosure and your tort in it? Most of the times when they stop eating like that it's related to their environment/temps

Karen H

5 Year Member
I'm thinking the squeaking might be some sort of respiratory issue?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Temps of 90-100 seem... Too warm. How do you take your temps? Can you post few pics of your enclosure and your tort in it? Most of the times when they stop eating like that it's related to their environment/temps
95-100 would be a good basking temperature. But if it's the overall it's too warm

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I meant the temps of 90-100 across the enclosure would be too warm