Springtails

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I know they don't hurt anything. But they are getting out of hand, climbing out of the habitat and wandering around on the lid, if I wash their dishes I get bugs on the counter. I'M SICK OF SPRINGTAILS....
They walk all over the turtles and get in their eyes....What do do? Can't change the substrate, it's not the season here that anybody even carries topsoil now. So I have to use the current stuff MINUS the bugs....
BTW Queenie spends her day chasing after them, digging in the substrate and eating the darned bugs....too funny....she's SO active. She did the same thing when she had ants. Chased'em down and
and ate them.
Any ideas?
Now, tell me if this is just too much....View attachment 103270 View attachment 103271
I have the same problem!! They are going crazy and it's making me crazy!

I feel as though it's a bit hopeless.... There's no way I can catch every single one (because they are all over the enclosure walls and lid now) so why would I change the substrate if they'll just come back?I know I can bake substrate, but that doesn't help with the current infestation. :-/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I second the spider idea! But do you think baby spiders could eat all those bugs?

I'm a "turtle" word user, sorry Maggie :oops:
I tell people I have a pet turtle. It's only when they ask, "oh what kind?" that I reply with African Leopard Tortoise.

M

Maggie Cummings

My research told me that they are thin skinned and dehydrate easily. They need damp soil, so for 3 days I have had drying lights in 2 tables of Springtail filled damp habitats. And I do believe it's working!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My research told me that they are thin skinned and dehydrate easily. They need damp soil, so for 3 days I have had drying lights in 2 tables of Springtail filled damp habitats. And I do believe it's working!
Then again, they likely need warm,dry to hatch eggs. LOL.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And wow! You are mean. Saying they are “thin skinned", maybe they're just sensitive.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
View attachment 103372

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I don't like dirt as a substrate, I want cypress mulch or orchid bark, neither available in the PNW without pine or cedar.
Queen was one of the best rock groups ever, and Queenie is my herbivore Hermanni....
:D Okay, I don't really like it either.. could you get some online? She's adorable :p her eyes are so big!

leopard777

5 Year Member
if your enclosure is a closed chamber , just gas them with co2 (dry ice)

M

Maggie Cummings

if your enclosure is a closed chamber , just gas them with co2 (dry ice)

I have 7 enclosures, all open as my animals are all adults and special needs animals. They all have outside pens too. But they are in the house for the winter. It's 35 degrees right now.... I like the idea, I'll just have to work out the logistics. My sis is sending me some new orchid bark with someone coming up here. So that will help in the new tort table. I've had drying lights on 2 enclosures for 2 0r 3 days and that seems to be working. But I kinda figure this way, as soon as I put a box turtle back in and wet it down new Springtails will start hatchling. Will co2 kill any eggs too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to suggest that you spread out a tarp and then cover it with your substrate and let it cook in the sun...but then I remembered you're in Oregon, where people don't tan, they rust.

M

Maggie Cummings

I was going to suggest that you spread out a tarp and then cover it with your substrate and let it cook in the sun...but then I remembered you're in Oregon, where people don't tan, they rust.

It's been raining for 2 weeks and now we're looking for snow. It was 37 degrees this morning, and my jeans are too tight to get thermals on underneath. Same weight, skinny jeans....

leopard777

5 Year Member
dont think it will kill the eggs , have you tried boiling water ?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I second the spider idea! But do you think baby spiders could eat all those bugs?

I'm a "turtle" word user, sorry Maggie :oops:
I tell people I have a pet turtle. It's only when they ask, "oh what kind?" that I reply with African Leopard Tortoise.
Oh no, I must say, that's one of my biggest pet peeves :( Very distinct differences!
How about pill bugs? I had nats, and they wiped out my problems in just over a week. All they need is something to hide under, mine do fine with substrate that isn't wet :)