Spring is here and it's time to get the enclosure ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
I started raking leaves and rebuilding the watering pond for the red foots today. It was in the mid 70s and sunny. Perfect day to prepare the enclosure. It looks crappy now, but the Cannas are starting to sprout as well as other plants. Here are some pics.

100_2084.jpg

100_2085.jpg

100_2086.jpg

100_2080.jpg

100_2093.jpg

100_2087.jpg

-Matt

tortguy521

5 Year Member
Wow very nice enclosure i wish i had the space to make a big outdoor pen like that but mine is much smaller.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
Wow! Thanks for posting the pics, you've given me some ideas. I am hoping the temps will be steady enough in a couple of weeks that I could put her in her new outdoor enclosure! We started shopping today, found a great little pond at Lowe's. Where are you located? We are in Central Florida, and it was mid 70's today, that's why I was asking.

Destiny

M

Maggie Cummings

We are still in winter mode here. Your enclosures look great, even now. I wish I could make something like that. Bob just has a square flat pen. I am lucky he has that I guess...
I am going to make a new pen for my box turtles and that will be fun. I've been collecting funky looking bricks and rocks so it won't be boring.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Destiny said:
Wow! Thanks for posting the pics, you've given me some ideas. I am hoping the temps will be steady enough in a couple of weeks that I could put her in her new outdoor enclosure! We started shopping today, found a great little pond at Lowe's. Where are you located? We are in Central Florida, and it was mid 70's today, that's why I was asking.

Destiny

I'm glad it helped with ideas! We're staying in the 70s but down in the low 50s at night, so I have to bring everyone in. I'm in Texas near Fort Worth. Here is what the enclosure looked like last summer.

100_1307.jpg

100_1111.jpg

100_1110.jpg

-Matt

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
jealous. I could go outside in summer (MN) but would have to heavily predator proof for raccoons, skunks, and oppossums, so instead on a rare day, put up a dog corral in an area with some shade and she goes out for a short bit.
Looks like that's not a problem for you. love the photos.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Great enclosure! The box shelter or 'condo' that you have for them-- can you tell me how you put that together? Do the little doors slide in/out of place or do they flip up? Gets me excited for spring too! :)
Thx, JD

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
jdawn said:
Great enclosure! The box shelter or 'condo' that you have for them-- can you tell me how you put that together? Do the little doors slide in/out of place or do they flip up? Gets me excited for spring too! :)
Thx, JD

Thanks! That box thing is actually an old storage closet that came from my shelf. It's made of tin. I actually cut the doors out and peeled them back. It's nothing fancy, ha! I'm so excited spring is there too! I putt all the red foots back out today, they're chomping on all the weeds that are here. I'm loving it!

-Matt

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Could you send some of that warmth up here? :D I had plans to get started this last weekend cleaning outside tortoise enclosures to prepare for this year, but some how going outside to work in the rain and 40s didn't end up to be as appealing as staying inside and watching them eating. :rolleyes:

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Jacqui said:
Could you send some of that warmth up here? :D I had plans to get started this last weekend cleaning outside tortoise enclosures to prepare for this year, but some how going outside to work in the rain and 40s didn't end up to be as appealing as staying inside and watching them eating. :rolleyes:

I will try to send some your way. We had a really long unusually cold, snowy winter this year. Long meaning that it started getting cold in November. I hope you get some warm weather soon. I know everyone has cabin fever.

-Matt

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Nice set up Matt..... Good looking tort too! .... Dats a biggie*
JD~

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Ohhhh....you're so lucky. Today is in the high 60's so I'm going out there to clean Pio's enclosure...leaves all over, but I saw some little sprouts coming up....I'm excited. Next week it will probably be cold again. I'm starting a really big boxie enclosure and boy am I going to have fun....I can't wait.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jdawn said:
Thx, JD

UT oh ... another JD .....?
Urgh .... :cool:
" darn nab it "..........
* today Temp was 82* wink~;)

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
N2TORTS said:
jdawn said:
Thx, JD

UT oh ... another JD .....?
Urgh .... :cool:
" darn nab it "..........
* today Temp was 82* wink~;)

Lol, yes.. I have also discovered a few "JD's" out there. I use that as well as Jenny Dawn (but I like JD sometimes cuz it makes me sound like a trucker ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.