Outdoor redfoot enclosure in Arizona. How do I keep the heat down/humidity up?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You will have to build a virtual 'greenhouse/rain-forest' since that is basically what these creatures are - most all of us have to create 'something' to keep their needs balanced -- heat / light / temps / diet - that's all.

rachelmick15

These are all wonderful ideas and I'm sure they will make my tortellini's enclosure more comfortable!

David Schmidt

You could plant a fruit tree on the outside of the enclosure to try and provide some shade and when she fruit drops its a nice treat fro your rf

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I live in central Texas, and in the dead of summer, we have days that are in the low 100s. Although, Texas is more suitable for Redfoots, I see no reason you can't keep them with proper precautions.

I provided burrows for my adults to escape the heat, and have access to moisture at the same time. I wouldn't only bury the hides a little underground, but completely below the surface, even if you have to create a mound. They use the below burrows all the time. which are now covered with dirt and mulch. I agree with the other suggestions. More foliage/shade, the better. My redfoots are more active now that my tree canopy is finally forming.

burrow 1.jpg

Mine also have access to an indoor area which has a dirt floor, and a concrete portion, which stays somewhat cooler than outside. They even laid eggs inside last year. If you want to go "all out" a green house with an evaporative cooler might work in your area. If you could get one large enough, they could have perfect conditions all year, or go with a smaller one that they have access to.

Last edited:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. Do you give your tort(s) daily soaks in warm water?;)

A lovely home!:)