Spotted turtle health

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
So I have been reading all of the care sheets on spotted turtles and they all talk about how they are fairly prone to health issues. I know that they should have more acidic water does that normally take care of any health problems.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
What health issues are they talking about?

I've found.. [ I'll no doubt hear about this ] that the "cleaner" you try to keep the water the worse it gets! Of course they must be 'healthy' to begin with!!!

You must have a "natural" biological 'balance' in their habitat/water.. that's the key! You must create a "SWAMP/BOG" with snails and bugs and all those creepy things.... that's where they prefer to live!

My water was 5" deep.. and you couldn't see their yellow spots in it.

When I stuck my hand in the ???.. stuff would cling to my hand when I pulled it out!

Beware of what lies in the minds of the internet "caregivers". Ask the breeders!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I haven't had any fungal issues with any of my loads of blandingii, orbicularis, marmorata, or guttata, since I began using aquarium salt and acidic environments. My water looks like tea in every one of my "pond" turtle enclosures, and I think that makes a big difference. Peat moss, oak leaves and branches, live moss and driftwood all have proven to be great tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.