SPOTTED AGAIN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I raised and bred these from '00 to '05.. and have been 'spotless' since - until last November!

From the FedEx box to a gallon ice-cream tub to wake up a bit -

110211.jpg

They started in a 20 long aquarium first - right at 2" SCL -

110211all3.jpg

Individual pics -

110211RF2.jpg

110211RF.jpg

ReflectSPOT.jpg

Typical plastron -

110211plastron.jpg

All 3 are female.. see that "vanilla" face? -

110211FFACE-1.jpg

Then a 3" 'male' joined them.. December '11 -

MaleFedEx120711.jpg

How about that 'darker' ( male ) face -

DarkMALEbeak-1.jpg

Incredible "mirror-image" SPOTS on his carapace! -

MirrorIMAGEMale.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Your so lucky!! Those are one of my favorite turtles and they have such great personalities.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They are beautiful NERD. I haven't seen any in a while, but they have been seen here a few times in local ponds. I always loved them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
They are beautiful NERD. I haven't seen any in a while, but they have been seen here a few times in local ponds. I always loved them.

Terry I've been out on the back roads in South Carolina among bogs and swamps but have yet to see any in the wild! Thanks...

Yep and thanks all..

Look at the colors of this 'proven' South Carolina female from back then - [ note date ] -

1JUNE04SCLF.jpg

1JUNE04SCRF.jpg

She was a bright "Salmon" color.

Look at the size of those spots -- I actually like the 'Southerns' with the fewer spots!!!.. ( better than the speckled ones for sure )

DSC045172.jpg

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Redfoot NERD said:
terryo said:

Terry I've been out on the back roads in South Carolina among bogs and swamps but have yet to see any in the wild! Thanks...

Yep and thanks all..

Look at the colors of this 'proven' South Carolina female from back then - [ note date ] -

1JUNE04SCLF.jpg

1JUNE04SCRF.jpg

She was a bright "Salmon" color.

Look at the size of those spots -- I actually like the 'Southerns' with the fewer spots!!!.. ( better than the speckled ones for sure )

DSC045172.jpg

Anyone else notice the gleam on the pleural scute? :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
What is "...gleam on the pleural scute" Tony? What do you mean by gleam.. and what is the pleural scute.. ??? Never heard of a pleural scute... I'm serious.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
rofll look at the fedex guy.. hes probably thinking.. "all this ... for.. turtles? grrr" haha

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
IRTehDuckie said:
rofll look at the fedex guy.. hes probably thinking.. "all this ... for.. turtles? grrr" haha

Yeah he said he was from South Texas and wasn't used to all this snow, etc. He was running 3 hours late because of it!

Jay really liked the pic.. he said he's seen multiple pics and videos of opening FedEx boxes.. but never actually being delivered!!! Take a look - http://www.turtlesandtortoises.com/shipping.html

Jay has always taken care of me.. he da man!!! [ he did good on that little guy for sure ]

Seems like someone asked about their set-up.. a 55 with less than 5" of water -

55SPOTSsetup.jpg

And every once in awhile I get lucky "with-camera-in-hand" -

110211LProfile.jpg

110211LF.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
NERD...what made you go back into water turtles again? Didn't you stop for a while when you started with the RF"s?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
NERD...what made you go back into water turtles again? Didn't you stop for a while when you started with the RF"s?

Actually Terry the spotted turtles came after the very first redfoot tortoises acquired in late '98. I had hatched a few different water turtles over the years.. but spotteds were the first "long-term" breeding project [ '99 -'08 ] - they are small and beautiful and always easy to find homes for. However they can be a challenge at times.

In fact now that I think about it there was only maybe 6 months that I didn't have water turtles.. I got a pair of terrapins late fall after selling my group of spotteds early spring '08.

I got back into them because they were always my favorite water turtle.. and I have the space, etc. that I didn't have before.

Status
Not open for further replies.