Spoiled tortoise?

birdandtortoiselover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
One thing I love about redfoots is that they have a very varied diet compared to many other species. However, I'm afraid my girl is becoming a little too choosy in regards to what she eats...she used to DEVOUR hibiscus flowers/leaves and dandelion and spring mix etc., but now she'll at most nibble those while going for either the fruit, zoo med forest tortoise food, or protein (when offered). She lives outdoors so we can't watch her every move but I have seen her eating some weeds that grow in her enclosure so maybe she gets her "fill" of greens that way? I'm hesitant to stop offering her favorites because I know they're also important to her diet plus I don't want her to be hungry. Any thoughts on what I can do? Or am I overreacting?

Twiggz

5 Year Member
N. Ca
Some are just like spoiled kids demanding cookies. I only offer fruit once or twice a week so they don't get too demanding.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sounds like you got the tort spoiled. May take some tough love to correct. Don't want to eat weeds today and are holding out for the goodies of yesterday, no problem, I can hold out too. Same food is offered the next day and until its eaten or its going bad. May take day or two, perhaps even three of sifting through the food looking at you in hopes for the tasty food. Eventually they get hungry enough, cave in, and eat with gusto what ever is offered. The trick is for you not to cave in first.

Last edited:

featherator

Southern California
I read a care sheet saying RF diet should be varied and switch days where that food group is the only one offered. This suggests that we don't mix fruit with veggies with greens. Maybe that would change things up?

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
I usually feed my girl her greens for lunch and then in the evening she gets the more desirable fruits and veggies. When I tried feeding everything all at once she'd push the greens aside for her favorites all the time. She's always been able to make room for her favorites in a second meal though. I think two meals a day helps break up her day a little bit too.