Age and Commercial Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdcaptain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How do you age a RF? When I bought her the breeder didn't tell me an age and I want to know if I should start supplementing her diet with protein yet. also I wanted to ask about Commercial foods, when I first bought her I also got a container of Zoo Med forest tortoise food which I am feeding along with fresh fruits and veg. None of the care sheets I have read have mentioned commercial food so I was wondering if they weren't safe.

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fernley Nevada
AVOID
The following food items should be avoided for a variety of reasons. there are many books and groups that go into great detail...so I won't repeat them here. At the end of the page are a few links).
Iceberg lettuce
Bok Choy
All grains (including bread, pasta etc)
All human food except what's been listed as "good"
Pellet type foods (An often overlooked factor of pyramiding is grain based diets. These are the pellet food that some claim to be essential to health. They typically contain soy, wheat and or rice. These are high in omega 6 fatty acids which has a negative effect on health. They also have an acidifying effect which causes a leaching of bone. They are high in phytate which binds calcium and other minerals. They also have an unfavorable ca/ph ratio and a low ca/mg ratio which has a negative impact on calcium metabolism. Grains alter Vit D metabolism. Diets high in grains can have a negative impact on bone growth in spite of adequate exposure to sunshine. (http://www.sawellnesscenter.com//nutrition/Diet/Cereal article-1.pdf)

ANTI-NUTRIENTS
A number of food items contain chemicals that interfere with a tortoises ability to absorb nutrients from food. Although most food items have some of these...a varied diet can minimize the harmful effects.

hdcaptain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It's mostly grasses, no grains. It smells and looks like alfalfa pellets.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The use of the pelleted food is another hotly debated topic with good points on both sides of the issue. A lot depends on what company's food your feeding. Another very important factor seems to be what percent of the pellets you feed in relationship to the natural greens.

hdcaptain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'd say it's a 70-30 relationship, with the emphasis on fresh foods.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Still a hot topic. Often heatedly debated. Read what’s in your pelleted food. Alfalfa ? soy? wheat? You have a RF I would read some of the care sheets like on http://www.Redfoots.com , http://www.turtletary.com , http://www.chelonia.org/ or other sites; Some sites are often are conflicting. Gather the info and talk with different reputable breeders to make an informed decision. Remember Animal protien IS different than plant protien.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One thing I want to point out is RFs are are forest torts and as such grass is not a big part of the natural diet. When mine eat grass (can't avoid it outside), it comes out the other end almost unchanged. In the wild the diet is fruits, succulent plants, and whatever animal protein they get their beaks on.

hdcaptain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I had wondered about the amount of grasses. still, what is the best way to age a tortoise? I need to know if she is ready for protein supplements.

hdcaptain

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Very interesting! That is actually the diet the breeder recommended to me. I had forgotten about it until now. I'm a little worried about the unsymmetrical growth but I think it's worth looking into more.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Itort said:
One thing I want to point out is RFs are are forest torts and as such grass is not a big part of the natural diet. When mine eat grass (can't avoid it outside), it comes out the other end almost unchanged. In the wild the diet is fruits, succulent plants, and whatever animal protein they get their beaks on.

What kind of succulent plants? I thought succulent plants were cactus?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I used this word in broader sense meaning nonwoody, soft type plants such as dandilions, fresh leaves, and sproats. Grass is coarser and more fibrious type plant that takes a longer gut to digest then a redfoot has. Think of what we eat as opposed to cow. We are an omnivore whereas a cow is a herbivore.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh...thank you. So we should watch out when letting them outside that they don't eat too much grass? I noticed some growing (how it got here I don't know) in his new outside pen, which I didn't put him in yet, as it hasn't gotten warm enough. I was going to leave it, but I'll pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.