[split] RF statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aaronaugusts

The cherry head tortoise is a smaller version of a redfoot, or redleg tortoise, that has a high amount of red on the top of the tortoises head and is a few inchs smaller when its an adult..

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Ah, I get it! You posted on two different sections to increase your audience...and got no response on either! :p

Funny how sometimes threads just slip through the cracks...:rolleyes:

Your statement sounds true to this novice tortoise keeper, except I'm not sure that Cherryheads are always smaller adults. :cool:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
aaronaugusts said:
The cherry head tortoise is a smaller version of a redfoot, or redleg tortoise, that has a high amount of red on the top of the tortoises head and is a few inchs smaller when its an adult..

Smaller version- not quite true. In fact, many 'cherrys' are bigger than a 'normal' Red-foot. The do seem to achieve sexual maturity faster/smaller however.

High amount of red- not quite true. The red can be several other shades as well, including salmon, etc.

Based on what I have learned here and other places...

The 'cherryhead morph' is a Red-foot from East-central to East-south Brazil, such as the Bahia region, a more temperate scrub forest than many other regions.

It has the mostly dark plastron of other Southern types, often presenting more of a mottling than a pattern.

The head and neck tend to show the same single red shade, often a bright red, on a mostly dark skin.

There is no hard and fast rule for their adult sizes, although they often seem to achieve sexual maturity at a smaller size/younger age. Males do not show the deep plastron indentation or wasp waisting of Northern Red-foots (neither do most other Southern Red-foot types).

The two most interesting characteristics include a slightly bulbous nose (the Rudolph Sign), and an enlarged, usually colored, scale on the inside of the front elbows.

Status
Not open for further replies.