do male cherryheads look different to northern RF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackcat38

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north wales, UK
Hi everyone
I picked up 2 new torts to go with my group today. The lady said they were 2 girls but when I got there they looked like and male and female. I would post some pictures but I have no idea where my camera charger has gone. She thought they were 2 girls because none had the wasp shape. But the one that I think is a male has quite a long tail carried wrapped along the side and the anal scutes make a wide angle. But there isn’t a wasp shape or concaving plastron.
They are both cherry heads and have all cherry characteristics. I read some where (probably on here actually lol) that cherry head males don’t have the peanut shape of their northern counterpart? Is this true? And do they still develop the concaveness?

If anyone has a picture of a female and male adult cherry head and could post it that would be fantastic.
Just to let you know they are both 16cm.

Also another question, the male looks like there is some shell rot, only a tiny bit and I didn’t even notice it when I picked them up but did once they were home. It’s kind of a tan colour, not white like I’ve seen in pictures. Does that mean its scars from old shell rot or new rot that it just developing? Also when he is being treated does he have to be kept on news paper to be kept clean and dry?
Thanks
Rachel x

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Most southern Red-foots (Cherry-heads, Gran Chaco, etc.) do not have the 'wasp waist' or only have a little narrowing.

Old shell rot does not usually need treating, and I would avoid keeping them on paper as a general rule. Paper towels or cardboard, maybe, but nothing as slick as newspaper. If you are going to apply Betadine, just hold it until dry then return it to the habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.