[split] My "sulcata" is a Chaco!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Very interesting thread...and congrats to you and what a awesome find. Enjoy , and I for one am very jealous...

poison

5 Year Member
yeah im jealous too. im gonna find that poison guy and take his tortoise

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
HA. thats funny, me too. You know sometimes you can find them for sale if you wanted a friend for her.

poison

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
HA. thats funny, me too. You know sometimes you can find them for sale if you wanted a friend for her.

where can i find one? and the most ive ever spent on a reptile was 300

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Theres a few people that sometimes sell them for like 500, so over your range i suppose. I will ding yah when I see some if I dont buy them all. :)

poison

5 Year Member
ill be willing to spend 500 but maybe in the future. and are these babies that you are talking about?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Typically babies to yearlings. Theyre rather difficult to hatch out in captivity so breeders usually hold onto them and make sure theyre doing well before selling them. You could try jay at turtlesandtortoises.com sometimes he has them for around 5-600 same size as yours. If you do find one at that price Id get it, they sell very fast whenever offered, and then you will be stuck with the 1500-2000 range if you miss the cheaper ones.

poison

5 Year Member
they didnt have any up for sale right now but i will be checking back frequently. and if you are kind enough you can buy it for me lol jk.

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL
RE: [split] My "sulcata" is a Chaco!!

Does Jay hatch out the chacos he sells?

Welcome poison to the chaco club! Your Chaco is lovely =)

poison

5 Year Member

Halcyon said:

thank you :) feels good being in a rare species of tortoise club lol jk. may i ask how much you paid for yours?

Halcyon

10 Year Member!
Chicago, IL

poison said:
Halcyon said:

thank you :) feels good being in a rare species of tortoise club lol jk. may i ask how much you paid for yours?

Henderson from Washington DC lists his Chaco babies for around $400 when he has them. He lists them on faunaclassifieds, you can lookout for them there, but I know he only does that once or twice a year, since chaco clutches are really small (1-2 eggs) and they take a looong time to hatch.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. The few people that are successful here would more than likely sell them at retail not wholesale. Incubation on them take around a year. And they usually are in season for laying eggs around now. So early next year you should start seeing some. Maybe in the fall.

poison

5 Year Member
but i dont wanna wait :( lol jk

and really a year? i dont think i could ever breed them. im to impatient lol.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!

EricIvins said:
That is exactly my point - This animal should not be a "Pet"......It should be in a Taxon Management Program to help further this species in captivity, seeing that there are very few Adult Chacos in captivity........

I agree 100% and appreciate the point made. The selfish pet keeping mentality is precisely why so many rare tortoises are nearly non-existent in captivity. If you want a pet, there are many great small tortoises that would better fit the bill! It is selfish and a shame that something so rare is not placed in a proper breeding program. This is way more than just having a pet! I will give you a small pet tortoise, absolutely free, if you agree to place this Chaco in the hands of someone who keeps them and has experience breeding them. I am sure there are others that would do the same. BTW, I do not keep them and have no experience with them. I do, however, have a passion for tortoises and their continued existence in captivity.

poison

5 Year Member
i see what you guys mean but tell me something. what if i did purchased her as a baby and raise her to an adult would you guys still think i should just give her to somebody to breed? i dont think that is right or my responsibility. i am not a breeder and if they are rare in captivity then so be it. im not trying to be rude or selfish im just speaking on how i feel.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!

poison said:
i see what you guys mean but tell me something. what if i did purchased her as a baby and raise her to an adult would you guys still think i should just give her to somebody to breed?

I would, yes. Absolutely! In my opinion, a Chaco tortoise should not be kept as a pet! They will be non-existent in captivity if they are all just kept as pets. There are plenty of tortoises that can be kept as pets. There are many that are widely bred and produced in captivity for just that purpose.

poison

5 Year Member
well i guess you can say i have the first pet chaco :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Qustion, do males fight with each other like sulcatas? Or can you keep several males and females together in the proper environment?

I must admit this thread has peaked my interest regarding this species!

Status
Not open for further replies.