Spitting up Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
Well, after the good news of the puffy skin going down and the eye clearing up on the little baby EBT with the crushed shell, I just went to check on him and noticed a small puddle of fluid under his face...

I cleaned some gunk out from around his mouth, and he 'snotted' up some water on my hand.

I think this may actually be water that he's drank and not RI-stuff just because of the amount (plus the foamy look and residue color is more like what I'd expect from something that's been in his stomach). Also, when he's breathing, there's not the typical popping or whistling sound I associate with RIs.

I'm trying to keep him moving several times a day, but I'm really not sure what else to do right now. I wonder if the difficulty he has pushing himself up on his legs is causing issues by putting too much pressure on him?
Is this something I should be freaking out about, or just keep an eye on him and chalk it up to him going overboard with how much he drinks?

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
I don't know. I had assumed there had been since he went to a turtle rescue team at a vet school. But they also said he was ready for release (even though he uses his beak to drag himself along the ground).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
(even though he uses his beak to drag himself along the ground).

My heart is so heavy for him...I would have an xray done....I say this because he may be genuinely in pain and if he has extensive damage this may just not be the right thing to force on him....please do not be mad at me for sharing that....please.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I believe you have two choices:
Call the "Vet" you originally took him too. Which I am a bit hesitant about, if they told you he was ready for release.
Wait and see.

You gave this turtle a better chance, but you might have to face you might eventually lose him. Keep him warm, keep the wounds clean.

Is he eating?

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
I don't believe he has broken bones (he can move the legs that don't work well) but one of the cracks on the broken shell extends over his spine. I think there was some sort of nerve damage involved.
I am pretty sure they did an x-ray, based on what they told me when we picked him up.

He hasn't been spitting/snotting as much today which is a good thing... He ate some blueberry earlier in the week, and bit at a worm yesterday but got discouraged when he missed and wouldn't try again.

He is still alert, watching whenever I walk around the room, and is curious about anything I put in front of him, spending a long time looking at it from different angles and nosing at it.
He seems to have a lot of fight left, and doesn't appear to be in pain (he isn't hesitant to wiggle his legs around, just can't seem to coordinate them correctly). I'm aware of the fact that it doesn't look good at the moment, but I'd like to give it a bit more time before I make any sort of call like that.

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
Okay, so I just gave him some water, and got him to eat a chunk of nightcrawler. Almost right after eating it, he vomited the worm and then a HUGE block of mucous (I dissected it to be sure, but that's what I'm pretty sure it was).
After that, he almost immediately perked up. He started looking like he wanted to try and eat his vomit, so I gave him another very tiny chunk. He gagged for a few minutes after eating it, but kept it down.

He hasn't been gasping for air every minute or so since he threw up the mucous, and he is WAY more alert. Just a total change in his demeanor. He even scooted around his tub for a little bit after I put him back in there.

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
This morning when I checked on him, he had peed; the first time since I picked him up. AND, the puffiness around his legs and neck (which I was told by the rescue was due to him being 'angry') was completely gone.

Maybe that chunk of mucous in his stomach was keeping anything from going through his system?

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Sounds like things are progressing well. I'm so happy for you and your new friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.