OK if he sits in a puddle all day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
It's been wicked hot here in LA these last few days and my CDT Gomez has developed an ingenious coping technique: he dug a nook under a stone adjacent to his hide, and now water collects there when I water down the enclosure at midday. When the hose comes out, Gomez goes to his nook and sits in the mud puddle for the next several hours. Ultimately it dries up sometime around dusk, and he might come out for an evening snack, might not. Anyway, given what we know about CDTs and RIs, is it OK to let him sit in water like that all day? Nighttime temps have been low 70s. Will the dampness be a problem for him? Here he is in his puddle (I lifted up the stone he's under for the pic).

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378172830.371024.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1378172762.550812.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1378172762.550812.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know anything about CDT, but I would be concerned with wet and cold temps with any tortoise. Hopefully someone with experience with them will come on soon.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Barb. When he goes to sit in the puddle, it's hot -- mid 90s. And by time the night temps settle in, it's dried up. I just wonder if it's too much time in dampness. Today he sat in his puddle from 2pm to 7:30.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shouldn't be any problem with these crazy hot temps. Its probably just the coolest place he can find. Kind of neat that he figured out how to go there when he sees you with the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.