Spinosa,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
thankgiving2012pluslotsaturtles244.jpg

I took alot of pictures the other day. Here is my largest male heosemys spinosa doing what is does best, sitting around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had to look him up on GOOGLE. His eyes look so much like the Manouria's eyes. Is it similar to our box turtles (habitat-wise)? And how big do they get? Yours looks like quite a big guy.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Ben -

Always love seeing pictures of spinosa. Such neat turtles. The ones at Joshuas are growing quite well.

emysemys said:
I had to look him up on GOOGLE. His eyes look so much like the Manouria's eyes. Is it similar to our box turtles (habitat-wise)? And how big do they get? Yours looks like quite a big guy.

Emysemys - They seem to like water a little more than box turtles. If I had to compare them habitat-wise to an american species, it would be NA Woods. The group I am familiar with just loves sitting around in shallow water all day. The yearlings I had seen at TN Aquarium a couple years back were the same.

Speaking of size, typical adult size is 7-9", but a heavy 7-9". As I recall, one of Ben's specimens weighs in about 1.5kg.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
theTurtleRoom said:
Ben -

Always love seeing pictures of spinosa. Such neat turtles. The ones at Joshuas are growing quite well.

emysemys said:

Emysemys - They seem to like water a little more than box turtles. If I had to compare them habitat-wise to an american species, it would be NA Woods. The group I am familiar with just loves sitting around in shallow water all day. The yearlings I had seen at TN Aquarium a couple years back were the same.

Speaking of size, typical adult size is 7-9", but a heavy 7-9". As I recall, one of Ben's specimens weighs in about 1.5kg.
My females weigh 1.3-1.5kg and the males over 2kg, perhaps near 3kg. They are massive animals. They have been captive for eleven years, I have had them for 8-9.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
He might hold the record for laziest turtle. He loves to just sit in the leaves most days. Every week or so he will have a nice soak.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He looks very happy with a smile on his face

Status
Not open for further replies.