Spineless cactus pads

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I got my pads and seeds from tortoise supply today and was just wanting to know how often to feed it to my torts, should I slice it into small pieces and what's the best way to store the pads.

Thanks,

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
2-3 times a week is good. It really depends if your tortoise is big enough to take bites out of the whole pad. For my babies I chop it up. Also I store it in my refrigerator.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
You can also stick one or two in a pot with dirt they will take root if you want to grow some with your seeds.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks on both!

Both of them are pretty small, so for now I will chop it up.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I just store mine in a box downstairs where it stays cool. I feed cactus 2X a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't cut it up. I just cut a big slice or cut a small pad in half. I think biting chunks off is good for their beaks and muscles. Plus it makes such a slimy mess the more you cut it.

To store it: Outside in the shade is best. Doesn't matter if its 32 degrees or 110. You want it open to the air. Stacking them or putting them in any sort of closed area will greatly shorten their "shelf life". I lay mine flat on big wire dog crates and they last for many months that way. In the past I threw a bunch in 18 gallon tubs and they started to go bad in a couple of weeks. The same ones from that batch that were laid out flat lasted 8 months before I fed them out or planted them.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I planted this pad about 3 weeks ago and put it in my enclosure that I grow weeds in. I hadn't noticed it growing because the top touches the plywood cover I made for the tank. I was moving it tonight and just found this new growth on it. Totally amazed so I put 2 more pads in the tank.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424835333.159737.jpg

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
I planted a pad months ago and there is no change or growth it looks the same. I must be doing something wrong. lol.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I put 2 outside and with the weather here I didn't expect to see any of them grow yet. I just cannot believe how much the one inside my tank grew in such a short time.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425237567.747870.jpg another started growing in less than a week.

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Did you just put the pad in dirt or did you cut the pad let it scar then plant it? I just carefully broke the pad from another and planted it maybe thats why its not growing after months. But at least it didn't die.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I put them in potting soil and They had been cut smooth across the bottoms. Today I checked the 3rd one I planted and it has 2 growth spots like the others.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Did you just put the pad in dirt or did you cut the pad let it scar then plant it? I just carefully broke the pad from another and planted it maybe thats why its not growing after months. But at least it didn't die.

How thick was the pad you planted? Have you checked for roots? I've had thinner pads take longer to get started, they seem to work on roots and bulking up before new growth is seen.