Spiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Our house is over run with black widows. I'm finding more and more juveniles each evening. (I've done some investigating since last summer on BW's and now am proud to say I can spot an immature one from 10 feet away LOL).

Tonight I found a pretty big immature BW (about 2 inches in length, just starting to turn black) and a pretty good sized violin spider inside the dogloo for Ralph. (Also found two BW webbing from the fence to the grass inside his enclosure). Does anyone have any info if these spiders are dangerous to sulcatas? What if Ralph eats them? What if they bite him? Could they bite through the skin on his legs? I know they could on his neck and upper legs near the shell where the skin is thinner.

Between the rats and the spiders, I'm really worried about him staying outdoors 24/7 now. We've had him since he was a 2 month old hatchling and will be 4 yrs old next month.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
We have black widows as well, and I've found 6-7 this summer. They can certainly bite him, but aren't likely to unless disturbed. Our pest control guy said they tend to like plastic for some reason, and we've found them on a plastic flower pot and other plastic items. Kill them when you can, easily looking out for them early in the season before they've made their egg sack.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Yes, plastic.....my kids' Little Tykes toys/slides.....they are all up underneath them. We usually go spider hunting every other day in the early evening. I think this weekend we will take apart the dogloo and rid it of spiders.

Would putting mothballs inside the dogloo do anything to the tort? I've read (with mixed emotion on either side) that mothballs will keep the spiders away.

Status
Not open for further replies.