Sphagnum Moss Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I was wondering what I can replace sphagnum moss with for Chevys humid hide? Right now I have just been using coconut coir but I refuse to use Sphagnum moss due to its reputation. Read this article to understand what I mean http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/sphagnum-moss-disease.shtml
Im just to worried that It can hurt Chevy so I am not taking any chances.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've used countless amounts of sphagnum moss, locally fresh picked, for nearly 3 decades now with all of my tortoises. I use it in humid hide boxes, chop it up and mix it in with other substrate materials and more. My young tortoises are in almost constant contact with it. I have yet to see any health issues resulting from the use of sphagnum moss. As to the reference of the article that you attached-I've always handled it with bare hands and never had any type of reaction whatsoever. The article mentions that the same problems have not been found in peat moss. Peat moss is nothing more than processed, dried sphagnum moss.

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
GBtortoises said:
I've used countless amounts of sphagnum moss, locally fresh picked, for nearly 3 decades now with all of my tortoises. I use it in humid hide boxes, chop it up and mix it in with other substrate materials and more. My young tortoises are in almost constant contact with it. I have yet to see any health issues resulting from the use of sphagnum moss. As to the reference of the article that you attached-I've always handled it with bare hands and never had any type of reaction whatsoever. The article mentions that the same problems have not been found in peat moss. Peat moss is nothing more than processed, dried sphagnum moss.

I agree. I've used sphagnum and peat moss for over 10 years with tortoises, geckos, and lizards and have had absolutely zero problems.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Peat is all I use (aside from a little cypress mixed in) and it has never given me any reason t worry. and as GB said "Peat moss is nothing more than processed, dried sphagnum moss"

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
What about spanish moss? I am actually not sure if it is tortoise safe or not, or how well it would behave as a medium for a humid hide, but I think it could be an option. Just make sure to rinse it well, then boil it, then microwave or bake it before adding it. It tends to carry a lot of little critters and dirt that you'll want to purge. But after cleaning it up, I would think it would work just fine. And, of course, wait to see if someone knows the stuff to be a no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.