Species?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Looks like a russian to me. Hope some one gets him and houses him better!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Looks like a russian to me. Hope some one gets him and houses him better!

Exactly why I'm inquiring...I would love to take him. If it were a box turtle I would've had to do more research but I was almost positive he is not a box turtle..

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It really looks russian but hard to say 100% its more like 90% sure that's a russian

Magilla504

I would put great odds that it's a russian. His color/pattern from that bad pic still leaves me to feel pretty certain about it. Go get him!!!! Get him out if that terrarium please. I bet he is banging into the glass right now

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Yup, waiting for a text back. Husband approved saving the little guy as long as he's Russian which is what we think. ;) YAY HUBBY.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I'm most likely getting him, we have extra wood for a second story enclosure, like bunk beds! He would be put in a bigger vivarium until we build the second story which wouldn't take us very long at all.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
If you already have another tortoise: don't forget about the quarantine. Even if they aren't housed together you should be careful and wash/ desinfect your hands etc. before going from one enclosure to the other :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
If you already have another tortoise: don't forget about the quarantine. Even if they aren't housed together you should be careful and wash/ desinfect your hands etc. before going from one enclosure to the other :)

Thank you for the reminder! They won't be housed together, that's for sure. I know pairs don't do well, especially Russians. But I'm appreciative for your reminder! :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Is it a good idea to ALWAYS do this before going to each enclosure, or just for a period of time while we make sure he is healthy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a Russian. For some unknown reason, Russian tortoises are called box turtles in pet shops. Probably because of their size. Russian box turtle, box tortoise. Any of a number of wrong terms are used.

Last edited:

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I thought it was a Russian, I just know nothing about box turtles so I just wanted to make sure. I'm probably picking him up tonight! Yay!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you for the reminder! They won't be housed together, that's for sure. I know pairs don't do well, especially Russians. But I'm appreciative for your reminder! :)
Also got to point out now (found it lol) because you new tort's a girl, your male will most likely harass her and stress her out, because he doesn't have any other girls to spread out his attention on! :(