Species identification

CharSparda

Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
Hey! It’s me making my 838384 thread

But yeah, today a friend of mine found a (turtle?) under his car who was being bothered by some dogs and he took it to his garden. He went to a vet who told him this was a land turtle but I am not quite sure if that’s the case, to me it looks like a water turtle

097686B2-033E-4D91-AD4B-707F954F0892.jpeg

FB84DD16-ED79-4ACA-A9C2-E06AA229270B.jpeg

It probably got lost, or could it be an indigenous turtle? Anyways, could you help me with this? And with the care sheet

Thank you again!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Meso American Slider......I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, a very bright and alert water turtle. He doesn't look like he's been "lost" for a long time. I'll bet he's out of one of your friend's neighbor's ponds.

CharSparda

Mexico City
Meso American Slider......I think.
Very close but according to a tort vet, it’s a him and he’s a painted turtle (from Florida)

That's 100% a water turtle
Yeah that’s what I thought, my friend didn’t take it to a vet, he told me today he went to a random aquarium which name is turtle island lol

Yes, a very bright and alert water turtle. He doesn't look like he's been "lost" for a long time. I'll bet he's out of one of your friend's neighbor's ponds.

My friend already posted him on the neighborhood page and via WhatsApp. For now he’s keeping it with him, he already bought a ton of things for water turtles lol

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Very close but according to a tort vet, it’s a him and he’s a painted turtle (from Florida)
I can assure you that is not a painted turtle. That is indeed a Meso-American Slider. Trachemys venusta venusta. (Used to be Trachemys scripta venusta just a few years ago.)

Native to the area near you, just to your east and to the gulf.

Last edited:

CharSparda

Mexico City
I can assure you that is not a painted turtle. That is indeed a Meso-American Slider. Trachemys venusta venusta. (Used to be Trachemys scripta venusta just a few years ago.)

Native to the area near you, just to your east and to the gulf.

Sorry, just realized the translation is not to a painted turtle. What the vet said is that this is a pond slider.

Here’s a new photo I got from my friend
A2FB3EF0-0B13-4C72-9F27-765C7C81E0C8.jpeg