Special greens containers

Jami

Hi. I have these green plastic food containers I think by Debbie Myers or something like that, they sell them in large sets on a home shopping network. They keep greens and fruits and breads fresher longer. But I'm not exactly sure how it works, natural chemical craziness - do you think this is ok for my tortoise spring mixes?

Thanks,
Jami

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
If they are the ones I have seen, I believe they "work" obsorbing the gas that causes fruits and veggies to rippen. They should be fine to use. They do not emit any gasses, they just absorb natural ones that are already in the fruits and veggies.

They only work on certain foods though and spring mix probably will not last any longer than in a normal tub or bag. If you are concerned about it lasting longer, controled moisture is best. Try putting a paper towel under your greens. It will trap moisture while keeping it away from the greens. This helps control deterioration caused by wet lettuce.

Jami

If they are the ones I have seen, I believe they "work" obsorbing the gas that causes fruits and veggies to rippen. They should be fine to use. They do not emit any gasses, they just absorb natural ones that are already in the fruits and veggies.

They only work on certain foods though and spring mix probably will not last any longer than in a normal tub or bag. If you are concerned about it lasting longer, controled moisture is best. Try putting a paper towel under your greens. It will trap moisture while keeping it away from the greens. This helps control deterioration caused by wet lettuce.
Thanks. That's how I thought it worked but wanted to make sure. They were a gift, so I need to track down a presentation I guess.
Thank you!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Copied from: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_store_parsley_cilantro_and_other_fresh_herbs/
How to Store Parsley, Cilantro, and Other Fresh Herbs
METHOD
1 Snip off the bottom of the stems.

2 Make sure the leaves are completely dry. Better to hold off rinsing them until you're about to use them.

3 Fill a jar or a water glass partially with water and place the stem ends of the herbs into the water in the jar.

4 If you are storing the herbs in the refrigerator, cover loosely with a plastic bag. Cilantro loves cool temperatures and should be stored in the refrigerator. Parsley can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator. According to Harold McGee, basil is ideally stored at room temperature and not in the refrigerator, because it is susceptible to damage from cold.

5 Change the water after several days if the water starts to discolor.

Fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, and other fresh herbs can last up to 2 weeks or longer when stored this way.

This is just a way to make some things last longer if that is something you need :)

Print

Jami

Copied from: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_store_parsley_cilantro_and_other_fresh_herbs/
How to Store Parsley, Cilantro, and Other Fresh Herbs
METHOD
1 Snip off the bottom of the stems.

2 Make sure the leaves are completely dry. Better to hold off rinsing them until you're about to use them.

3 Fill a jar or a water glass partially with water and place the stem ends of the herbs into the water in the jar.

4 If you are storing the herbs in the refrigerator, cover loosely with a plastic bag. Cilantro loves cool temperatures and should be stored in the refrigerator. Parsley can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator. According to Harold McGee, basil is ideally stored at room temperature and not in the refrigerator, because it is susceptible to damage from cold.

5 Change the water after several days if the water starts to discolor.

Fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, and other fresh herbs can last up to 2 weeks or longer when stored this way.

This is just a way to make some things last longer if that is something you need :)

Print
Thank you!!!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Your welcome.... I saw this way before somewhere so I looked it up :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I second the paper towel thing. It works much better. I just change it out every couple days when it starts to get noticeably wet. I always buy spring mix in the little plastic boxes, lay a folded paper towel across the top so that it covers the entire surface, and then store the bin upside down in the fridge (so that the towel is now on the bottom). This means that a) I don't have to take out the lettuce to put the paper towels in and b) that the lettuce that will go bad first is on the top and easily removed.

Jami

I second the paper towel thing. It works much better. I just change it out every couple days when it starts to get noticeably wet. I always buy spring mix in the little plastic boxes, lay a folded paper towel across the top so that it covers the entire surface, and then store the bin upside down in the fridge (so that the towel is now on the bottom). This means that a) I don't have to take out the lettuce to put the paper towels in and b) that the lettuce that will go bad first is on the top and easily removed.
Good idea. Thanks!!!!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
wow, thats what i do also! works great!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have those containers too, but they don't work too well! Maybe try the paper towel method :p