KEEPING GREENS LONGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So far the best I have found to keep greens fresher longer is this.
1-Do not wash them until you are ready to use them is best. I like washing them right away, but be sure to dry well before storing.
2-roll them up in a towel or paper towel
3-store in a glass bowl not plastic
4-store in the veggie draw of frig.
5-pull all bad looking ones right away

Found this on the internet, works good, they lasted longer than a week. Some of course last longer than others, but all when tried this way last longer than a week. I had endive, dandelion greens, and one other which I forgot what it was:p
The glass in place of plastic seems to be a big difference maker:D
Has anyone found good ways to keep them fresher longer?:cool:

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
From my experience they stay fresh longst if kept in the lil greens bags u put them in at the store.. If u gonna store in a glass container put the greens in the bag in the container Red leaf lettuce goes bad the quickest, best to buy it in smaller portions, always examine the greens daily, pick off any spoiling leafs

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
nikki0601 said:
From my experience they stay fresh longst if kept in the lil greens bags u put them in at the store.. If u gonna store in a glass container put the greens in the bag in the container Red leaf lettuce goes bad the quickest, best to buy it in smaller portions, always examine the greens daily, pick off any spoiling leafs

I have tried those bags, still not as long lasting as the towel and glass, for me anyway:D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I buy my greens in bulk(cases)..and store them in there own refrigerator (with no shelves or crisper).I keep the temp at 37*F... I can get 10-12 days with hardly no loss....I pack it in tight not sure if that helps or makes things worst

I always throw all the greens in a (food only) utility sink...I let them soak and shake them around ..I then drain and repeat... Then I stack everything up tight in the fridge...

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
How long does your red leaf last? My red leaf goes bad in half the time everything else does, the large heads of red leaf and even the baby red leaf in spring mix

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only gotten them in the mixed greens bags and they are the first to go, however some will last 3-4 days, but have to make sure you pull the bad ones right away. Have you tried storing them by themself. They seem more delicate than most, maybe they would do better, less bruising etc? Also don't wash them until you are ready to feed.:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Techniques that worked for me included:

1. Soak greens in cold, deep water. Made some bags out of cheapo (dollar store) dish towels sewn on 3 sides. Dump wet greens into a DRY bag. If the bag dries off, mist it.

OR

2. Soak greens in cold, deep water. Spin dry or pat very dry. Roll in paper towels and store in airtight containers.

OR

3. Do like #2 but instead of rolling in paper towels, store in a shoebox-like container with lots of holes all over, including the bottom, set in another shoe box-like container to drain into.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I store dandelion leaves in a tupperware container of water sealed tight in the refrigerator and they last for weeks, I do pick them and they are in ice water in the refrigerator in about 10 minutes, which may be why they last so long before wilting, I haven't tried storing any store bought or other types of plant this way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
??Len?? said:
I store dandelion leaves in a tupperware container of water sealed tight in the refrigerator and they last for weeks, I do pick them and they are in ice water in the refrigerator in about 10 minutes, which may be why they last so long before wilting, I haven't tried storing any store bought or other types of plant this way.

Interesting:), I thought air And Moisture were the enemies of greens. I could be wrong of course:p:D. I haven't tried your idea yet, i will try with store bought greens and let you know if it works on them also. I love hearing new ideas. Thanks all, keep them coming:D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That's why it's important to use a tight sealing container and fill it so there is very little air space after the top is put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.