10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My three special needs box turtles have come out of their winter slumber:

03-20-12b.jpg

03-20-12a.jpg

03-20-12c.jpg

The smallest, middle one is a female 3-toe, left is a male 3-toe and Spyder, on the right is a male eastern. I'm a little worried about Spyder's back legs. The seem to be holding water.

I'll never understand how people can have a box turtle in an indoor habitat...aquarium, or whatever, see something like these guys every day, and not realize there is something wrong with them.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
now why did ya have to make me feel bad?..I have mine indoors, because I live in an apartment...but they get to roam around....oh man those poor boxies.....it breaks my heart.....a few months left on my lease and I will have mine outside for sure!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is one of those the one who will only drink out of a cup?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If that's my story for sure, and not mixing me up with someone else, then I must've lied to you. None of my special needs guys are that special needy.:p

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I've had mine indoors-- she goes outside with me all the time and now has a summer home outside with her brother. I can't get over these turtles-- they are special needs! The back legs on one look like they grew twice their normal length. The other looks to have a short shell- and the other poor nutrition. I'm glad you now have them. How long have they been with you ?? They look happy :)!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
After all these years I still get shocked when I see things like this. It's so sad. Even if they were kept inside their whole lives, they still shouldn't look like that if they had a proper set up. That is just pure neglect. How wonderful it is to see them in the sunshine. So far only one of mine came up. This week it's going to be in the high 70's so I'm expecting to see more of them.....hopefully.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
yagyujubei said:
Spider looks like a female to me. Can he walk?

Not really. His legs don't retract much. He just pushes himself around. He manages quite well. I've had him a couple years now, and he has managed twice to dig in and hibernate.

SailingMystic said:
The back legs on one look like they grew twice their normal length. The other looks to have a short shell- and the other poor nutrition. I'm glad you now have them. How long have they been with you ?? They look happy :)!

Spyder's legs are probably an ok size for his age, but his shell is quite deformed and hasn't grown much. All of them suffered from poor nutrition and no sunshine. I've had Spyder for a little over two years, but I got the others a little over a year ago.

M

Maggie Cummings

dmmj said:
Is one of those the one who will only drink out of a cup?

Don't you mean my 3 toed male named Goof Ball who drinks from a cup..?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
drinks from a cup? lol? do tell

Haha I can totally see my hatchling doing that . She sits on the outside of her bowl then sticks her head in to drink . Then when she is done drinking, she will go in lol maybe she doesn't want to dirty her water? Jeez what a princess !

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I thought it was yvonne, but it is her sister maggie who has a box turtle that only drinks from a cup, there is a thread about it somewhere.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, it was Maggie's box turtle. I think his name was Goof Ball...I think...Look it up. Maggie has some funny stories about all her animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.