10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is an excellent example of what MBD looks like in box turtles:

Rescue34-9-11a.jpg

Rescue34-9-11b.jpg

Rescue34-9-11c.jpg

The pictures don't do her justice. She's very deformed.

This box turtle is 5 years old, was kept in an aquarium on the kitchen counter next to the window, and fed mainly canned cat food with some veggies and fruit occasionally.

The first thing that you start to notice with box turtle MBD is the toe nails. The grow straight out and are at funny angles to each other. Next the tail shrinks up to a nub, and finally the shell starts to show deformity.

This little rescue will get a name because I'm going to keep her. She's a perfect match for Spyder, my little deformed eastern box turtle. I'm pretty sure she's going to be Lily.

M

Maggie Cummings

I recently got one in who looks like Lily. What is wrong with people anyway...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Interesting, our speaker at the Calusa Herp Society last thursday was on box turtles. The speaker did touch on this subjest, very interesting. I have found a new appreciation for box turtles after the presentation.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Aww Yvonne I am sooo happy you are going to keep her, Lily suits her perfectly. That poor littl girl, she went through so much, now she is going to be a happy turtle with you :D Congrats!!!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Aww, poor little thing.

Glad she's with you, Yvonne.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's very sad. Have you ever seen Scooter, one of Julie's rescues? That's about the worse case I ever saw. I'm always amazed with I see this because I don't understand how someone can let this go so far. Don't they see it happening? Well, at least you have her now.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
i hate seeing torts like that. it's sad. glad she's with you though.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am happy she is going to be well taken care of now...poor little girl..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a better picture of her toe nails and tail. The middle toe nail is straight and quite long.

rescue34-9-11d.jpg

AdamR

5 Year Member
I've been reading a lot lately about people who have been feeding their turtles or torts canned dog/cat food. Why exactly would one do that? Where do you get the idea that this is ok? It seems common sense to me that testudines shouldn't be fed this, but some people are just plain stupid. Or am I wrong and there is some sort of nutritional value for them? Seems that all those that are fed this are usually deformed like this. Poor Liily, at least she has a good home now!

Status
Not open for further replies.