Spam

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
The forum is staring to have "lose-weight-diet-pills" spams… can anyone stop it? It really annoying ! I just want to point it out because all the mods must be busy making this place good :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah they're slipping through. We catch quite a few a day. But I have noticed some that get through for some reason.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
If you see spam please click on the "Report Concern" button underneath the spam post. Thank you!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
What is with these weird ads for geocaching on the site? Anyone else getting these? There's no visual, just this lady talking forever on how it's fun for the whole family. It happens like every other time I click to a new page, and only with TFO.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Report it, a mod will be on sooner or later ( sooner in my case), and will be handled, to be honest though this site has a better spam program than the other one I belong to.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
What is with these weird ads for geocaching on the site? Anyone else getting these? There's no visual, just this lady talking forever on how it's fun for the whole family. It happens like every other time I click to a new page, and only with TFO.

Can you be more specific? There shouldn't be any video or audio ads on TFO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have my speakers turned on, but I don't think I'm getting the geocaching ads.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I believe the ads are specific for your tablet or computer. For instance the ads that show up for me are things I've searched about or typed into google search engines. Like right now the most recent ad is about blocking spam. Because this thread is about spam. They cycle through history of your patterns. So they're all specific to each person and they are doing on the tablet or computer.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I believe the ads are specific for your tablet or computer. For instance the ads that show up for me are things I've searched about or typed into google search engines. Like right now the most recent ad is about blocking spam. Because this thread is about spam. They cycle through history of your patterns. So they're all specific to each person and they are doing on the tablet or computer.
That doesn't happen to me... Is it creepy (kinda like stalking monitoring people) Maybe they save that data for research... Oops, kinda got carried away :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That doesn't happen to me... Is it creepy (kinda like stalking monitoring people) Maybe they save that data for research... Oops, kinda got carried away :)
Yeah pretty much it's weird. I was messing with a scammer from Cameroon back when, now I get ads for calling Cameroon. And like earlier the ad now is how to block spam from your email. Totally related to items I type or search for. It's weird.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND

If I click a link to "new posts" or into a thread, etc. This lady starts talking about "summer fun" with your family and geocaching for like 5 minutes. I've never actually finished the ad. If I click into another page it will stop or start over. It is not happening on any other pages, nor do I have any popup windows. I can't find any sort of video add or banner or even a related looking photo where it would be coming from. It's just some guitar music and the lady talking. It's just noise coming from nowhere. It only happens on my work computer and has happened for the last couple days. I work at the Microsoft campus, and our server room is bigger than our apartment, so I doubt it's a virus or something on my end. I use the latest version of IE. It happens probably about 50% of the time I navigate to a new area of the site.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND

The photo ads are all about worms and target and wedding stuff, so those I can see being personalized to me. I used to be a camp counselor though, and I HATE geocaching. You won't find that or "summer fun", "family", etc. anywhere in my history.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I get the same thing Kelly. Before I figured it out, it was creepy as I didn't pay attention to it all the time. Then once I did, I figured it out.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND

Just wanted to let you know that when I was in my conversations last night, messaging Saleama, there was a square ad space on the upper right hand side that played video ads. One was for some sort of fashion show I think? Don't remember the one after that.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Just wanted to let you know that when I was in my conversations last night, messaging Saleama, there was a square ad space on the upper right hand side that played video ads. One was for some sort of fashion show I think? Don't remember the one after that.

Can you take a screen shot?