Turt owner and soon to be Tort owner saying Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hey all!

New to tortoises... I've been mostly on the Box Turtle side of life since a young age but I've been reading up on Tortoise Husbandry for a while now and am lookiing forward to purchasing my first Tortoise - a Redfoot - in the next week or so. Hopefully it will like the horrible 90% humidity Maryland has had for the past 3 months!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! :D So do you already have the individual tortoise picked out? What characteristics or whatever, caused you to decide on a Redfoot? They are by the way, wonderful tortoises. I am sure your going to be delighted with yours.:tort:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Mgridgaway said:
Hey all!

New to tortoises... I've been mostly on the Box Turtle side of life since a young age but I've been reading up on Tortoise Husbandry for a while now and am lookiing forward to purchasing my first Tortoise - a Redfoot - in the next week or so. Hopefully it will like the horrible 90% humidity Maryland has had for the past 3 months!

Welcome to the forum ....." your new addiction" ... and a Redfoot is an excellent choice for your tort~ they are awesome torts! ..and yes your new lil guy will love the humidity !

JD~:)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming purchase.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mgridgeaway:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Welcome to the forum those are my favorite tortoises :D

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sorry for taking a while to reply! It's been a busy weekend.

First off, Yvonne: My name is Matt. Pleased to meet you!

To Jacqui: First and foremost, I was interested in larger tortoises. Boxies are relatively small, and while they'll probably always be my fav, I wanted to branch out into unknown territory. From that point on I just did a lot of research on the best species for my climate and personal means. At first I was in love with Sulcata's, but after reading the literature I realized it'd be irresponsible for me to own an animal that gets so large so quickly. I have a nice enclosed yard with a high fence, but it's not nearly large enough to adequately support one, especially in the winter. Plus, I have a garden that I would like to actually get vegetables from! I next looked at Leopards, but since they have problems with high humidity and I live in a subtropical climate, I couldn't in the right mind continue considering them.

It finally came down to Redfoots or Yellowfoots, and after talking to Tyler at Tortoise Supply, I decided on the Redfoot because they have slightly looser humidity requirements than Yellowfoots. That, and they're adorable!

To everybody else, thank you for the warm welcomes!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Matt! I've had box turtles forever, myself, and when I decided to get a tortoise I choose a Cherry Head RF. I live in a very humid area, especially in the Summer, but mine have to come in for the Winter. What kind of box turtles do you have, and do you have any pictures? Can't wait to see your RF too.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome Matt and Congrats on your new addition. Proud that you did your research and did the responsible thing. I know you will find just as much joy in your Redfoot as you would in a large species. Glad to see you on board... I too would like to see pictures of your Boxies..

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Terry: I've only ever had Eastern Boxes. My dad works for the State Highway Administration and when I was a kid he would rescue turtles from the road and bring them home. At the time he thought he was doing a good deed (and he was, to an extent) and I was just happy to have a turtle, but as we both grew older we found out this was a bad practice what with home ranges and population problems, so whenever we see one we just help it across the road instead :) At any rate, here is a picture of some of our recent hatchlings. This is actually the first CB group I've hatched --normally we'd just allow nature to take its course, for better or worse. These guys are adorable and love to eat. We still have 3 unhatched eggs... I believe one is stillborn but the other two seem to growing so we'll see how it goes!

EJ: For me, a Redfoot is a large species!!! I'd love to own a sulcata one day, but this day is not the right one.

View attachment 11302

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
A quick question! I noticed a lot of people have a turtle breed alongside 3 numbers (ie Sulcata 1.2.0). What does this mean? I was thinking it meant something like 1 male, 2 females, 0 unsexed/hatchlings. Am I close?

Status
Not open for further replies.