Someone once said labs don't shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I know they're lying! Of course, this was years ago before we had labs. I have two labs and shedding never ends. Anyone else relate?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375904218.097904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I have a lab mix and she sheds like crazy! My long haired chow mix only sheds once a year, it's the lab mix that sheds all the time!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oh my!!!!

High five to you friend, I could never handle shedding... I'll just pet your labs on the head and go on my way :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whoever said that obviously never had one. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hope you just brushed all that hair off of it. My mom has a black lab it don't shed like that . Thats just nasty :p

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

I hope you just brushed all that hair off of it. My mom has a black lab it don't shed like that . Thats just nasty :p

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
RosieRedfoot said:
I know they're lying! Of course, this was years ago before we had labs. I have two labs and shedding never ends. Anyone else relate?

I have an Aussie, a Border Collie-Aussie mix, and an Aussie-Dane mix. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I pick up tumble weeds 2x that amount on a daily basis. And, no, they're not bald.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] (YWG)
Hermann's [TURTLE]s: Darwin & Wallace
Aussie [DOG FACE]s: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
All dbl coated breeds shed. Which includes all short haired dogs. The Greyhound adopters like to promote Greyhounds as non shedders. Ain't true. Some Greyhounds and Labs have less dense coats, but they all shed.

Ann from CT
National Certified Master Groomer

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Yeah, I brushed them for about ten minutes to get that amount of fur off but I could brush daily for a week and get that much fur off them each time. I have a furminator so I refuse to pay $50 for a groomer to do a furminator brush out.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Who would ever say labs don't shed?!

I have a shepherd mix that sheds like crazy. Both thick undercoat and those tiny little prickly hairs. My other dog is a shih Tzu. Lots of grooming but not a lot of shedding! I wear dog/cat hair on my clothes everyday and I really don't care. I grew up with dogs from the day I was born. Been wearing dog hair for almost 45 years now. I wear it proudly. :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Try having a Golden Retriever!! Wow!!
Thats a lot of shedding too!! :) :) Cute picture!

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
A lot of hair but just look at that cute face!!!! That is one adorable dog!

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
Had a Black lab for 13 years and they do shed a lot. But nothing like our Newfoundland, I can stuff pillows full of hair every time we brush him.

Attachments

• Grizzley.jpg
    Grizzley.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 47

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
This is Big Jake my Black Lab. He sheds like crazy lol. No worries hes only on a chain in this pic because we were fencing yard. Hes certainly a house dog. Hes too big and black to spend much time outside in the Texas heat. :)

Attachments

• 1375971576534.jpg
    1375971576534.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 37

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I feel your pain. We have a White German Shedder and a Great Dane. Furminator and Coconut Oil help, as does a fantastic diet (they eat better than I do.) I would rather vacuum daily than live without the love these two goofballs give me. :)

BTW - your pup looks VERY proud of himself....lol

oknursedana

5 Year Member
DawnH said:
I feel your pain. We have a White German Shedder and a Great Dane. Furminator and Coconut Oil help, as does a fantastic diet (they eat better than I do.) I would rather vacuum daily than live without the love these two goofballs give me. :)

BTW - your pup looks VERY proud of himself....lol

What do you do with the coconut oil for the pooches? I have a lab/rot mix and a Dane and I too wear hair daily. It's funny. Only the white on my Dane sheds. Here is a pic of what I got off the lab a week ago with my furminator. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375975360.785017.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tried Dyno-vite (not sure of the spelling) when I had a long-haired dog, and with a better diet and the Dyno, the shedding was limited to once a year in the spring time.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I don't think he was proud, but instead felt a lot cooler and less itchy!

They eat a grain free salmon food and I've had labs my entire life but none have shed as bad as Prince does.

Dante got some highlights with a new toupee
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375988044.837613.jpg

His shedding two months ago
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375988219.109580.jpg

I should have known... This pile was the amount of hair I got off him a week after he was groomed before we adopted him.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375988395.790610.jpg

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Right on! I have 3 Labradors. I have all hardwood floors, so I have to break ou the shop vac when they're all shedding at the same time. And I have to run it 3 days per week, so I don't even bother putting it away.

Yvonne G said:
I tried Dyno-vite (not sure of the spelling) when I had a long-haired dog, and with a better diet and the Dyno, the shedding was limited to once a year in the spring time.

A little fun fact. The owner and president of Dyno-vite is Ed Lukacevic. He lived 10 minutes away from me when I was in my late teens / early twenties. He had a HUGE reptile collection. I got my first group of NA Woods from him. I got 10 of them on a trade for and adult female red tailed boa. Unheard of nowadays!! I hung out at his house on the weekends and helped him feed and clean all of the enclosures. I've learned more from him than I'll ever learn moving forward. And a great, genuine guy as well. Ok, hijack over!

Status
Not open for further replies.