Gram Scale Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So it's getting far enough past my last vet appointment that I want to weigh Levi and see how much he's gaining (he weighed 30g two weeks ago at the vet) but I'm not sure what brand to go with. I thought about just smuggling him into the lab with me but honestly at university labs you never know What the freshmen have been doing to the poor equipment or who last spilled 80M hydrochloric acid everywhere and never cleaned up... So I decided against that course of action.

I've been cruising around amazon and found a few models that looked promising but they all seem to have low thresholds (around 500g) and I want something that can handle a little more than that. Obviously I won't be able to get something that will be useful for a sully forever but I'd like to at least be able to use it for a year or two as well as possibly weighing boxes to mail.

Anyone have any brands/models they prefer?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Got to walmart, target or any chain store and find a food scale, they have nice ones that don't cost very much and you can physically look at them and see which one you like best..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like using the postage scales sold at places like Staples. The main reason is I like the flat scale with the ability to have it hold the measured weight. Sometimes this old mind can forget between weighing and writing it down. :D

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Any of those works. I use a Good Grips one I picked up at Fred Meyer (you may know it as Kroger) but it was 30 dollars and has a max of 5 pounds. It does imperial and metric. I use it all the time for meat and other foods as well as measure Naiya.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Funny you should ask this. I'm going to bed bath & beyond after work and I plan on getting one.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
dalano73 said:
Got to walmart, target or any chain store and find a food scale, they have nice ones that don't cost very much and you can physically look at them and see which one you like best..

Ha, duh, that sounds like a great idea :D
Who has two thumbs and always tries to solve her problems with the internet?
Yup...This girl

Jacqui said:
I like using the postage scales sold at places like Staples. The main reason is I like the flat scale with the ability to have it hold the measured weight. Sometimes this old mind can forget between weighing and writing it down. :D

Haha good point I was chanting "30 grams, 30 grams, 30 grams..." to myself through most of his vet appointment until I finally found a pen and an old receipt in my purse to write it down :rolleyes:

jackrat said:
I got mine off E-Bay.

Ahh so perhaps the webs still can solve all of the things.... :goes to play on EBay:

MatrixDJ said:
Any of those works. I use a Good Grips one I picked up at Fred Meyer (you may know it as Kroger) but it was 30 dollars and has a max of 5 pounds. It does imperial and metric. I use it all the time for meat and other foods as well as measure Naiya.

We have neither of those in Columbia but I'll check public. Also I was confused momentarily because we have Meijer in Michigan where I grew up...which was founded by Fred Meijer.

pdrobber said:
Funny you should ask this. I'm going to bed bath & beyond after work and I plan on getting one.

Now I have a whole huge list of places to check :D
Thanks guys.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Yeah I got mine off ebay as well.. it was for weighing Jewelery and such but hey, if they keep getting heavier that means all is well so that's good enough in my book. I think it only cost about 10 bucks shipped so its all good.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I got one online as well...one thing I was looking for was a higher capacity. Most of them max out at 5 or 6 pounds, I found a similar scale but with an 11 pound capacity. I think it was around 15 or so shipped.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I use a food scale from walmart, weighs up to 11lbs, should last a couple years and is reliable, Oneida is the brand

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
ShadowRancher said:
So it's getting far enough past my last vet appointment that I want to weigh Levi and see how much he's gaining (he weighed 30g two weeks ago at the vet) but I'm not sure what brand to go with. I thought about just smuggling him into the lab with me but honestly at university labs you never know What the freshmen have been doing to the poor equipment or who last spilled 80M hydrochloric acid everywhere and never cleaned up... So I decided against that course of action.

I've been cruising around amazon and found a few models that looked promising but they all seem to have low thresholds (around 500g) and I want something that can handle a little more than that. Obviously I won't be able to get something that will be useful for a sully forever but I'd like to at least be able to use it for a year or two as well as possibly weighing boxes to mail.

Anyone have any brands/models they prefer?

Got one of these and can highly recommend it for both weighing smaller tortoises (under 11#) and mail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1g-5000g-El...769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2569f35969

For a sulcata/other large tortoise, I'd go w/ something like this, that will never become obsolete do to your pet's size (and is a great bargain, as well):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330-Lb-Digi...300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5891004224

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Awesome thanks for all the input guys... Now I really want that shiny industrial one Terry :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ohas - Triple beam ........Best scale on the market ( I dont trust digital )

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
OK, I won't lie...I got my gram scale from my kid who used to sell drugs. He finds it hilarious that I am weighing my hatchling tortoises on a scale he once used for illegal activity.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Terry Allan Hall said:
ShadowRancher said:
Awesome thanks for all the input guys... Now I really want that shiny industrial one Terry :D

That'd be the one I'd pick, if I had a (continually) growing sulcata. :cool:

But I am missing where it says what the starting weight is, how small the weight goes down to (like just a pound increment or what?), you know those little simple details. Does it even say the size of the scale?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
cdmay said:
OK, I won't lie...I got my gram scale from my kid who used to sell drugs. He finds it hilarious that I am weighing my hatchling tortoises on a scale he once used for illegal activity.

Hahaha that's great!

At least you know it's accurate if it was used for business ventures :p

Jacqui said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
ShadowRancher said:

That'd be the one I'd pick, if I had a (continually) growing sulcata. :cool:

But I am missing where it says what the starting weight is, how small the weight goes down to (like just a pound increment or what?), you know those little simple details. Does it even say the size of the scale?

In the description it says it is sensitive to 5 grams... So I'm thinking that means it will register something that is five grams? I'll message the seller before I make a decision

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I recommend an inexpensive, but not 'cheapo', food scale as well. I like digital devices that let you do a tare weight (weigh a bowl, zero it out, weight the animal in the bowl), metric and imperial, and that lets you 'lock' the weight- although this last feature is not common in this category.

As a point of order, it is rarely necessary for our scales, thermometers, etc. to be super accurate. You basically pay for how many places of accuracy you get, and we don't need many. Our bigger concern is consistency- it should always measure this target weight the same.

That way, we can track CHANGE, which is usually what we are really worried about. Is it growing in a healthy way?

The reason I use a food scale with tare weight is so I can weigh my guys on a disposable foam plate, then use it right after to weigh food and not worry about cross contamination. The ability to use it in the kitchen makes it easier to justify the cost of a decent unit.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cdmay said:

Ha ha ha ... Carl GMTA !

Status
Not open for further replies.