Some sort of fungus

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hello. My 7 year old red foot had been getting worse and worse. She seems to have some sort of white fungus on her plastron, her carapace, and her shell edges. I've tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush wet with athletes foot fungus cream and water. It went away for a day when I did that. Now it's come back worse. What is happening?! Please help.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
How long did you continue the treatment?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I very gently scrape off the soft part with some kind of plastic like a cut up credit card and then clean it and apply Betadine solution.(ONCE) And place athletes foot cream full strength on it every day for about 7 to 10 days. It goes away, but likes to return during the summer.
Buy the dollar store athletes foot cream (And also their antibiotic ointment as well) It's the same active ingredient and ANYONE can afford a buck.
Cut the Betadine to about 1 to 5 parts water.

ShellyTheTortoise71

I very gently scrape off the soft part with some kind of plastic like a cut up credit card and then clean it and apply Betadine solution.(ONCE) And place athletes foot cream full strength on it every day for about 7 to 10 days. It goes away, but likes to return during the summer.
But the dollar store athletes foot cream (And also their antibiotic ointment as well) It's the same active ingredient and ANYONE can afford a buck.

Ok thanks so much. What is betadine? Where can I get it? I have athletes foot cream and I will use it for her. Should I mix the antibiotic with the athletes foot cream? I'm sorry for all questions. This has never happened before and I want her to be ok.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
She'll be fine. It's a good idea to lift up your tortoises and have a general physical inspection at least once a week.
With mine the fungus only happens when it's been very rainy...If at all.
The scars will remain for quite a while.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No, antibiotics would be for a scrape or a minor cut some other time. It's just good to have around.
I was just suggesting to buy it also for a dollar so that you'd have it in your tortoise aid "KIT".
You can find Betadine at any drug store or general store. Even at a grocery store.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can use a drop of IODINE in place of BETADINE. Just something to kill off any initial bad stuff. Only use it the first day of treatment because it will slow down the healing if used again. And make sure to mix it with water at about 5 to 1.
Also, it'll stain your fingers so wear gloves.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Dilute betadine in a 1:9 with water. Clean the affected areas daily and apply antifungal cream daily after cleaning. Most likely need to treat for 1-3 months

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello. My 7 year old red foot had been getting worse and worse. She seems to have some sort of white fungus on her plastron, her carapace, and her shell edges. I've tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush wet with athletes foot fungus cream and water. It went away for a day when I did that. Now it's come back worse. What is happening?! Please help.

View attachment 142308 View attachment 142309 View attachment 142310 View attachment 142311 View attachment 142312

Treatment advice is good but no one mentioned that this can be a recurring problem
if corrective measures are not addressed to environmental and cultural conditions.
Tortoises in captivity are prone to fungal shell conditions due to contact with damp acidic mulches
like cypress or infrequent changes of urine soaked substrates.

Last edited: