Some Pictures of my Cutie

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
This is Lucy! earlier this year I built her a brand new enclosure and she sure is enjoying it! :)

DSC_0669s.jpg
DSC_0011s.jpg
DSC_0677s.jpg
DSC_0685s.jpg
DSC_0686s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Nice pics, the second one is neat.What are you using for moisture? whatever it is it looks like it works real well, nice fog coming out of the hose. Len

anniiie321

5 Year Member
??Len?? said:
Nice pics, the second one is neat.What are you using for moisture? whatever it is it looks like it works real well, nice fog coming out of the hose. Len

Thank you!
I have a mixture of sphagnum moss and peat moss for substrate and the hose is a zoomed reptifogger. It does an awesome job of keeping the humidity up. I also mist the entire cage a few times a week. :)

dalano73 said:
That is a nice enclosure and Lucy looks very good...

Thank you. I'm very happy with her growth :) especially for being a first time tortoise owner :p

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Nice enclosure. If I didn't have RV I'd be thinking about a cherry head or RFT.

Love the pics ~ thanks for sharking... she's a beauty.

teri

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Great Pictures and Enclosure, He looks Like Hes Out Growing it Tho!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Annie:

That's a beautiful enclosure, and your tortoise is very pretty too. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it seems like the enclosure is a little bit small for the size of the tortoise.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
Great Pictures and Enclosure, He looks Like Hes Out Growing it Tho!

Thanks! Hahaha, well firstly, I'm currently under the impression she is a girl.. but she does seem to be getting the 'loaf of bread shape' of a male :S lol. I'll have to post new pictures now that shes bigger. I'm hoping this enclosure will last a few years until I move out of my parents house!

emysemys said:
Hi Annie:

That's a beautiful enclosure, and your tortoise is very pretty too. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it seems like the enclosure is a little bit small for the size of the tortoise.

I am hoping it will last her a few more years until I move out of my parents house and have more room for a lifetime enclosure. I am going to re-arrange it this weekend to maximize space.. I also bought her a flower pot I will cut for a new den. Do you happen to know what to rule of thumb is for enclosure size? I heard 8 shell lengths by 4.. i think?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Was your redfoot's mouth photoshopped in the first photo? She kind of looks like she's smiling, almost like a box turtle, rather than keeping a "straight face" like a tortoise. Gorgeous pix of a gorgeous redfoot, though, especially the second and third shots.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Was your redfoot's mouth photoshopped in the first photo? She kind of looks like she's smiling, almost like a box turtle, rather than keeping a "straight face" like a tortoise. Gorgeous pix of a gorgeous redfoot, though, especially the second and third shots.

hahah you caught me! yes, I photoshopped it, but it fits her well :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
anniiie321 said:
I am hoping it will last her a few more years until I move out of my parents house and have more room for a lifetime enclosure. I am going to re-arrange it this weekend to maximize space.. I also bought her a flower pot I will cut for a new den. Do you happen to know what to rule of thumb is for enclosure size? I heard 8 shell lengths by 4.. i think?

I have never heard that "rule," but I will say, that isn't big enough by far. If I followed that rule, my male Russian for instance would have an enclosure that is 36" X 12". I am not even sure how to word it, but that is horribly small.

It is a beautiful enclosure, but there is absolutely no way that it is going to last years. She is already cramped and will outgrow it completely soon.

There really is no "rule of thumb." Every species is different, every tortoise is different, there is cage furniture to take into account,etc... But personally I wouldn't keep a Redfoot in anything less than 4' X 8'.

Very pretty little Redfoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.