Socializing and taking better care of my tortoise

Kaitlyn Grindle

I got a tortoise 3 1/2 years ago. I believe he is a Russian tortoise.
I haven't done the best job taking care of him to be honest.
I make sure he's fed every day and has his heat lamp on for 12 hours a day and have his 40 gallon tank by a window so he can get natural sunlight as well. I know he likes banana and apple but no other fruits. He eats kale every day. I won't give him that packaged dry stuff. I don't take him out to walk around because he just hides but I want him to be social and happy. I haven't paid a lot of attention to him and I know that needs to change but I don't know how.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I recommend going over to the Mediterranean tortoise section and reading the pinned threads in the Russian section.

Your Russian shouldn't be eating fruit, but instead a variety of weedy greens. This species comes from an arid region and wasn't built to process such rich, sugar-filled foods.

I suspect you have an adult Russian, so 40 gallons is much too small of an enclosure. My experience is that tortoises generally just end up sitting like lumps if they are in small habitats (what is the incentive to move around and explore if you can see 100% of your territory all the time?). 4'x8' is the minimum generally recommended here for Russians - that allows you to create many site barriers and make the space more 'interesting' without taking up too much valuable walking around room.

Having the enclosure next to the window provides visible light and heat, but it doesn't provide the uvb (that is filtered out by glass) needed to metabolize calcium. You need a uvb emitting bulb for that - unless your tortoise gets outside regularly. These bulbs need to be replaced ~6 months, as they stop emitting uvb well before they stop emitting visible light.

The good news is that tortoises aren't social animals and taking them out everyday (except for baths) is not to their benefit. Having a tortoise out exploring your house is also quite dangerous. They readily eat non-food items and can end up with intestinal blockages. We've also seen far too many stories of people who take tortoises out to explore their home that end with a tortoise being stepped on or crushed behind a door. The floor is also not warm enough - in most homes - to leave a tortoise on for any significant amount of time. But a tortoise does need exercise, and that's where having a large enclosure comes in.

Many of your problems can be solved by building an outdoor enclosure to allow your Russian to get the uvb he needs, the ability to graze on weeds, and the exercise and stimulation that he can't get in a 40 gallon tank.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I recommend going over to the Mediterranean tortoise section and reading the pinned threads in the Russian section.

Your Russian shouldn't be eating fruit, but instead a variety of weedy greens. This species comes from an arid region and wasn't built to process such rich, sugar-filled foods.

I suspect you have an adult Russian, so 40 gallons is much too small of an enclosure. My experience is that tortoises generally just end up sitting like lumps if they are in small habitats (what is the incentive to move around and explore if you can see 100% of your territory all the time?). 4'x8' is the minimum generally recommended here for Russians - that allows you to create many site barriers and make the space more 'interesting' without taking up too much valuable walking around room.

Having the enclosure next to the window provides visible light and heat, but it doesn't provide the uvb (that is filtered out by glass) needed to metabolize calcium. You need a uvb emitting bulb for that - unless your tortoise gets outside regularly. These bulbs need to be replaced ~6 months, as they stop emitting uvb well before they stop emitting visible light.

The good news is that tortoises aren't social animals and taking them out everyday (except for baths) is not to their benefit. Having a tortoise out exploring your house is also quite dangerous. They readily eat non-food items and can end up with intestinal blockages. We've also seen far too many stories of people who take tortoises out to explore their home that end with a tortoise being stepped on or crushed behind a door. The floor is also not warm enough - in most homes - to leave a tortoise on for any significant amount of time. But a tortoise does need exercise, and that's where having a large enclosure comes in.

Many of your problems can be solved by building an outdoor enclosure to allow your Russian to get the uvb he needs, the ability to graze on weeds, and the exercise and stimulation that he can't get in a 40 gallon tank.
Just wanted this to be posted again. All great info that needs to be followed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaitlyn, and welcome to the Forum! Please put up a picture of your tortoise so we can give you the best info possible. For example, if it truly IS a Russian tortoise, you should NOT be giving it any fruit, however, if it turns out that it's a redfooted tortoise, it's quite ok to give it fruit. So we really need to know what it is before we can help you.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Howdy Kaitlyn! Welcome from Texas! We are very glad you have found us here and HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!! Agree with what's been said above. Post pics of your tort and enclosure. You'll find ALL the current information on proper tortoise husbandry for the species you keep. That, and making many new friends from all over the World who share your interest in tortoises. Great to have you here!