1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Not enough care

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by tortoise42, Sep 17, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. tortoise42

tortoise42 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Utah,US
    It feels like I am not taking enough care of my Russian tortoise (rocky) but I am not sure if this is just how taking care of a tortoise is or if I am doing something wrong I feed him every day and soak him once a week but it does'nt feel like enough
    ZEROPILOT and Shorty like this.
  2. Shorty

Shorty Member

San Miguel CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello!

I am new owner myself and by NO means an expert. I also own a Russian Tort named Petie... One thing I have learned recently is to soak him every other day at MAX!! One time I went close to a week and after seeing how much he pooped swore I would NEVER wait that long again!!!

Occasionally, after his soak, before returning him to his enclosure I let him roam around in our living room on a clean blanket.

I also chat with him upon approaching and reaching into his enclosure... I gently stroke his shell (like petting him) and occasionally when he let's me I gently rub the top of his head (again approaching very slowly as I am calmly talking to him).

That's how I have come to interact with him. I do my best to keep his stress low (when walking with him I fully support him above and below; I use a calm gentle voice; a try to walk at a slow pace).

Not sure if this is helpful but I feel I am a pretty good Tort mommy but again, by NO means do I claim to be a pro and I am sure more people will post in on here to give more advice too
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    A tortoise is a non-participation type animal. He's just fine if all you do is provide him with food and water and a good place to live. He really doesn't want interaction with you. Can you set him up outside where he has room to wander around?
  4. lilly_sand99

lilly_sand99 Active Member

Marshalltown IA
    My tortoise literally gets pissed at me if I give him too much attention. Like I can walk by all day long but if I like touch and hold him for too long, he buries himself for a full day!

Just provide the correct environment and provide food and water!!!
    ZEROPILOT and Viola B like this.
  5. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I agree 100%.
    Some days my tortoise interaction consists of my looking at the water pools, throwing some food in the pen, banging on the wall to tell them the food has arrived and leaving without ever even seeing a tortoise.
    I think we're all fine with that.
    Sleppo likes this.