SoCal 2.5 yr old Rescue

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Good Eve Tort fans

My family just acquired a 2.5 year old Male Sulcata. From the information I was provided by his former owner it sounds like once he was moved outside (don't know at what age) he wasn't given a heating/humidity source - or likely a proper nightbox. He was fed a diet primarily sourced from the market. That being said, we've had him a week and are racing to get a proper night box complete. (thank you Tom for your detailed designs - we are planning on building a box based off your 4x4 plan)

It's been a busy week for our new guy (still unnamed) he's met our chickens, cats and busy daughters, and he's watched fresh sod, prickly pear and hibiscus installed for his dining pleasure. We have re worked our entirely edible landscape garden for him to fit into.

After reading threads in these forums for several hours, I'm grateful for this community and its knowledge.

If anyone has any tips on how to house him for the next few days until we have a house and most importantly HEAT for him - we would appreciate it.

Thank you !!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's probably warm enough during the day. I'm up in Central California, and the nights here have cooled considerably. I would just wait until he settles down for the night then box him up in shredded paper and bring him in for the night. Put the box someplace quiet, and where he's not going to drive you crazy having to listen to him scratching and digging, then just put him back outside in the a.m. when the sun is shining on his yard.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome , I would just get a big plastic tub and bring him inside until your night box is finished. Put some paper in the bottom in case he messes . Something like this ;

lg1_17364306.jpg

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
That's what I did for Rio, here, while it is dropping at night. Using a tub just like that one above. RIO seems to like it. He never fusses, JUST goes to sleep. Hubbs is helping me build him a tortoise table. I just finished waterproofing 90% of the inside. We're doing the flooring and the lighting next.

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Last edited:
SoCal
Thanks to all of your loving suggestions - Zendo is sleeping soundly in a Rubbermaid tub in our dining room. Ironically it was used to brood chickens and kittens earlier this year. We are happily stocked with recycled shredded paper from our nesting boxes and he couldn't look more cozy.

We gave him a 20 minute soak in the tub prior to bed as well.

How often would you all rec we soak him?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is my temporary escape capsule for my tortoises anytime they need to come inside my backroom for a hurricane or on the rare occasion it is too cold.
I keep absorbent newspaper at the bottom and hay for bedding in. Also, each tote has four 3" holes near the top for ventilation.

Attachments

• 20160117_171504.jpg
    20160117_171504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4