Soaking temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
The water temp probe that I ordered a few months ago finally arrived. I've been using the "feels warm on my arm" technique for soaking temps. Now that I have an accurate means of measuring water temp, what are you guys using for soaking temps?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a thermometer too and anywhere from 88-92 is what I do. Pretty arbitrary numbers, but that's what I do. I don't think it would be a problem any where from 78-98 really.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
My soaking temps start off around 95 and gradually go down from there...and that doesn't change during the summer either;)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I've been playing around a bit with the temps, and plan to do am little more now that I have the thermometer.

I soaked her today and started at 95.5 degrees F. She seemed to be in heaven. Laid still with her arms and legs out drinking occasionally but not excessively. After about 10-15 minutes, the water was down to about 88 degrees. She began moving more and started to appear agitated: trying to turn around, scratching at sides etc.

Now I understand this really doesn't mean anything. First, I am attributing human emotion to the torts action at random. For all I know, moving around could be like playing and laying there docile could mean she is uncomfortable. I'm also ignoring the time factor, maybe after 10 minutes she started to get bored. I'm just going by my gut for what its worth as a new tort keeper. She seemed content at 95 and agitated at 88.

I'm going to continue to play around with this. I want to continue to soak her on a regular basis for hydration purposes, but I want to minimize stress as much as I can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think they just get "done" being in the water after a while. If you start at 88 she'll probably sit still too. If you warm it up to 95 after 10 minutes, she'll probably still get restless and want out. It does depend on the day too. Some days I put mine in the soaking tubs and they sit still for 10-15 minutes. Other days the are fidgety right away. Most days, after sunning they sit pretty still in the water for a while.

... and let me tell you, I soak some tortoises...

295pa4g.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
I think they just get "done" being in the water after a while. If you start at 88 she'll probably sit still too. If you warm it up to 95 after 10 minutes, she'll probably still get restless and want out. It does depend on the day too. Some days I put mine in the soaking tubs and they sit still for 10-15 minutes. Other days the are fidgety right away. Most days, after sunning they sit pretty still in the water for a while.

295pa4g.jpg
Nice picture Tom.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Nice! I assumed it might be random. I do feel better now that I have the temp gauge. I just never trusted myself with the "arm" test.

The small black circular dish in the lower right, are those the "cookies"?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good eye! Yes they are the little bab"cookies". The single one hatched out about three weeks ago and the three in the smaller bowl are only a few days old. I've had 7 hatch out. Three are already gone and I've got four brand spankin' new ones right now. Cory actually took that pic a few days ago on his camera phone. There are still a whole bunch of eggs incubating.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom said:
Good eye! Yes they are the little bab"cookies". The single one hatched out about three weeks ago and the three in the smaller bowl are only a few days old. I've had 7 hatch out. Three are already gone and I've got four brand spankin' new ones right now. Cory actually took that pic a few days ago on his camera phone. There are still a whole bunch of eggs incubating.

We are getting our setup dialed in. Should be all set in May when "Yoda" arrives!

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
any scientific consensus on top temp? We have been running at about 100 and Ted seems to like it but if that is too high...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mean Guy said:
any scientific consensus on top temp? We have been running at about 100 and Ted seems to like it but if that is too high...

That is probably close, Our hatchlings we switch out the water for new water every few minutes inorder to maintain a warm tempersture.

SavannanSpike

5 Year Member
Trenton ohio
Tom said:

295pa4g.jpg

[/qu

They are too cute! makes me want a lot one day! :) (after I master my one of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.