Soaking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
When I bought my little Hermy I was told by the seller to soak him 3 times a week for around 10 minutes each time. He LOVES to hang in his little pool, so is ok to do this daily? I have a shallow dish in his home, so he has 24 hour access to water, but he doesn't care for it. The dish we soak him in is a huge reptile ramp dish that he can walk all around in, and unfortunately at this time it doesn't fit in his habitat.

Thanks for any replies! :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Yes, you can soak him daily. I soak Emrys daily - sounds like yours is more keen on the idea, though. Emrys doesn't like his soaks too much, but he's never had a drink from his bowl when I've been in the room, and I've only caught it once on webcam, so I take the 'better safe than sorry' approach to keeping him hydrated.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
Yes, you can soak him daily. I soak Emrys daily - sounds like yours is more keen on the idea, though. Emrys doesn't like his soaks too much, but he's never had a drink from his bowl when I've been in the room, and I've only caught it once on webcam, so I take the 'better safe than sorry' approach to keeping him hydrated.

Thanks! I wanted to double check just in case there was some reason they aren't supposed to be over soaked. He really likes it, and then climbs right out when he's done. (I'm right there watching) He'll even stretch his neck WAY out and dip his head down and take huge drinks. It's pretty cute. :)

Thanks again!

TragicQuietus

5 Year Member
: ) Little Gamera looks forward to her daily baths, even begs for them. If i don't offer her warm water she'll bath in her water dish and look sad because it's cooler then what she likes. Such cuties. Face first like they are snorkeling. (She also poops there the most so it makes clean up way easier)

I think something went wrong posting that.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
TragicQuietus said:
: ) Little Gamera looks forward to her daily baths, even begs for them. If i don't offer her warm water she'll bath in her water dish and look sad because it's cooler then what she likes. Such cuties. Face first like they are snorkeling. (She also poops there the most so it makes clean up way easier)

I think something went wrong posting that.

It is like snorkeling, and very cute. Hiccup generally poops in there too. Ha ha! But like you said, it is much easier to clean up. I think he gets just as excited for his soak as he does his food! The warm water is probably why he likes the big dish. His little dish in his home doesn't stay warm long.

Thanks for the reply!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you move your water dish a bit closer to the hot spot it will keep the water dish water warm :D

jkingler

5 Year Member
I keep my water dish under the heat lamp, so it is like a hot tub of sorts, and Deedle soaks several times a day without coercion.

They can't really oversoak themselves, right?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
The only thing to look out for with daily soaking is soft poo. Not really a bad thing, just something you should be aware of! I started daily soaks and got all worried when my little guy had soft-looking poo, but it's normal, not a sign of illness!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the replies! I honestly hadn't thought to move the dish. Lol! Will definitely try that. It's smaller though...I think he likes the HUGE one. This summer he'll get a home bug enough for it to be in there.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.