Leo

Rachael13

hi everyone, this is my second time asking a question on here and since you were so helpful the first time I decided I'd return for another question!

My 3 and a half year old hermanns tort has tunnelled himself under the green grass-like mat I have for under his food so the dirt doesn't get into his food dish. He stayed there for a full 24 hours so I got concerned he was stuck. I took him out only to find he tunnelled himself right back under. Just wondering if he's trying to hibernate? This isn't like him at all, he's always playing around all day in his tank. Here is a photo.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there, im a newbie here but if you can post more pics of you enclosure snd what you temps are it should help the pros advise you.

my thoughts are, how long have you had him/her? have you made any changes? ... could be tort adjusting?

are there hides in enclosure? how deep is substrate?

Rachael13

I've had him for about a month and a half. Temps are about 90 for basking area and 75 on the other side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
it looks like you have an all glass enclosure? if this is the case, it could be causing stress on your tort as the do not unstand glass... if they can spend hrs and even case injury trying to get through it.

perhaps covering say 8" from the bottom up with paper to stop your little one seeing out would help?

Rachael13

Hmm. I bought the tank along with Leo, he has been in it since birth, so I'm not sure if that would be it :/

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i would recommend changing out the substrate to coco coir over full enclosure, about 6" deep. also a shallow terracotta dish burried level filled with water to allow self soaking and drinking water.

have you came across the care sheets on here yet? they offer great pointers :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
it takes a while for torts to get used to new things, i have read of re homes being active for the first month then practically dormant the next! your in the right place for advice and someone should be along soon to steer you right.

Rachael13

I Have 2 terracotta dishes in with him, one large for dipping and a smaller for drinking. He's been getting along amazingly the past month and a half and I'm really worried :( I will try changing his substrate ASAP, thanks :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. How long have you had the tort for? If you recently got it, then it's going to take it TIME, A LOT OF TIME to get used to a new place, new cimate, new home, new owner, and the rest.

I'd recommend NOT using a glass enclousure. As was mentioned, torts do not understand the concept of glass. It may cause stress and a tort may keep trying to get out of the enclosure.

Wishing you and your tort the best of luck.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What type of lighting are you using? Some types can stress out your tortoise. can you provide a photo of what you have?
If everything else is O.K. I wouldn't worry about him/her looking for a little nook to feel safe in.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
i have a breed pair of Hermann's and id advise to check you UVB light if it more than 3 months old change it, buy a temp gun or temperature gauge to check the basking area, also a glass enclosure isn't good as it becomes a greenhouse effect and will just heat up, id bath/soak him each morning also. but best is get him in the garden if the weather is nice.

Rachael13

Thanks everyone!! Here is the light I have with him. I just bought a new bulb last month! I have a dog so I'm not sure if I would be able to have him in anything other than the glass case... But I can certainly cover the front glass part up. It's relieving to hear that he might just be adjusting, but he's been so playful and energetic up until now so I figured he was adjusting well :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 17

Rachael13

Also, Leo is kept downstairs in my basement where we watch tv, it's naturally cold down there so I doubt he will get too warm :) and I usually spray him with water everyday (past few days excluded because he won't move from under the mat) do you think I should take him out from the mat or let him be? I'm worried he's not eating as I haven't seen him out in a few days besides when I pulled him out two days ago.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Also, Leo is kept downstairs in my basement where we watch tv, it's naturally cold down there so I doubt he will get too warm :) and I usually spray him with water everyday (past few days excluded because he won't move from under the mat) do you think I should take him out from the mat or let him be? I'm worried he's not eating as I haven't seen him out in a few days besides when I pulled him out two days ago.
You just sent an alert with a pic of the bulb you use. Pics of your tort as well as enclosure would be of more help.

Rachael13

Don't know what you mean by sent an alert? But here's Leo and enclosure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14