Soaking in Hard Water?

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm reading this thread and curious about hard water and it changing the appearance of the shell. I'm noticing that we have slightly hard water in our house and my tortoises shell is getting dull and brown looking. He also has white lines just at the neck line (on the shell). Is a Brita filter or something like that ok for soaking and regular tap for drinking? I drink the regular tap all the time and bathe in it. But I don't like how the shell is looking.

Thoughts? Mine is a redfoot about 2-1/2 years old Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm reading this thread and curious about hard water and it changing the appearance of the shell. I'm noticing that we have slightly hard water in our house and my tortoises shell is getting dull and brown looking. He also has white lines just at the neck line (on the shell). Is a Brita filter or something like that ok for soaking and regular tap for drinking? I drink the regular tap all the time and bathe in it. But I don't like how the shell is looking.

In this part of the country all the water is super hard and full of minerals. I use it for soaking and drinking, and then simply rinse the tortoise shell with demineralized water after the soak. I use collected and filtered rainwater, but you can also use reverse osmosis water or distilled water for spraying the tortoise or the enclosure.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca

I soak every day, I mean every day I also have hard water actually classified by the Government as Very Hard Water. I have not noticed dulling from the water but I do not have a Red Foot. Mine are all Sulcata, Desert and Hermanns. I would think you may use the coconut oil on Red Foots? Someone with more expertise can answer that. If you do use coconut oil make sure you do a good wipe down 30-60 minutes later.

Brita will not remove hard water. I think that's what @Tom was meaning with the distilled.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't like the Brita faucet filters. The one I use is a pur for cooking , my animals drinking water and different things. Even a pur won't get rid of the hardness completely here. It leaves a powder residue on everything you use it for. Even so I'll still use it for bathing, cleaning, laundry etc...maybe after a soak rinse off like every one said and do a really really light coating of coconut oil now and then. Apply a tiny bit and buff after like you would do for a shoe shine 😊

_The_Beast_

Canada
You can often remove hard water stains on the shell by giving a gentle scrub with a toothbrush during bath time and then doing the rinse Tom described to help prevent future build up. I have hard water too 😅 Fun times

ND135

Maryland
In this part of the country all the water is super hard and full of minerals. I use it for soaking and drinking, and then simply rinse the tortoise shell with demineralized water after the soak. I use collected and filtered rainwater, but you can also use reverse osmosis water or distilled water for spraying the tortoise or the enclosure.
Thanks!

ND135

Maryland
Thanks. I use a Brita Pitcher for drinking sprayers and fogger. A little distilled for rinse sounds good!! Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks. I use a Brita Pitcher for drinking sprayers and fogger. A little distilled for rinse sounds good!! Thank you
The Brita water is good for drinking, but not so good for spraying or for your fogger since it still has the minerals. Also, foggers are okay to humidify the room, but shouldn't be blowing directly into the tortoise enclosure.