Hard water buildup on shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas, yeehaw
My roommate has been spraying his redfoot very frequently with normal tap water and the poor fella's shell is absolutely dulled from all the hard water buildup. he has now stopped doing that. I have tried scrubbing the buildup off, but it is really caked on there. I want to use something acidic like you would a shower head , but i feel like vinegar is much too harsh to be around the little guy. and anything citrus is a no no. any ideas???:(

btw. If anyone remembers Wallie my sulcata.. He is a beast now. big.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG!!!!! Dutton, you bad, bad boy!!! Where in the heck have you been?

And how dare you say Wall-e is a big boy and not give us some pictures to back that statement up!

Please give us an update (with pictures) on what's been going on in your life since you've been gone.

You can make the hard water build-up look invisible if you rub a bit of olive oil into the carapace. Be sure to take a soft cloth and polish off the excess.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
the olive oil worked great! heres mr. wall-e. Its now to the point where i see the significant growth rate, but alas... some pyramiding :[

oh! and here is his newer enclosure that i made. :cool: there is no substrate at the moment as i have just moved it into my new apartment. Its gonna be too small for wallie pretty soon as you can see. I might have to sell it. He has a nice sized livingroom/ bedroom. A nice ramp with stairs. And a luxurious balcony WITH 3 plexiglass windows that he has designated as his bathroom. GO FIGURE. its pretty solid. How much do you think it could go for?
emysemys said:
OMG!!!!! Dutton, you bad, bad boy!!! Where in the heck have you been?

And how dare you say Wall-e is a big boy and not give us some pictures to back that statement up!

Please give us an update (with pictures) on what's been going on in your life since you've been gone.

You can make the hard water build-up look invisible if you rub a bit of olive oil into the carapace. Be sure to take a soft cloth and polish off the excess.

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-07-27 at 16.46 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2011-07-27 at 16.46 #2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo on 2011-07-27 at 17.11.jpg
    Photo on 2011-07-27 at 17.11.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club