Status
Not open for further replies.

moraima_jay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Noel, MO
moraima_jay said:
zoogrl said:
Um, is this for real? Are there really mini giraffes that people are keeping as pets? Why aren't we spending our money, time, resources doing something MUCH more productive?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cure for cancer maybe? Or homeless shelters, wildlife conservation, alternative energy resources, etc you get my point. Sigh, I can't believe people. . . k, i'm off the box now.

i am guessing you have no sense of humor..???

why dont you look them up??

and if it were true wouldnt it be also be hypocritical for us since we buy turts...that are being bred in captivity?? or what about all the breeders out there??

the topic of that would just be a big can of worms..

we are just giving some time to an idea....

so lighten up...be happy:eek:)

why not entertain the idea of having such a cute animal as a petite lap giraffe as a pet....they do look sooooooo cute...would love to have one....

wonder if they would make a clothes line for it like we have for our cats and dogs....lol...what would they look like...

and i wonder what toys they would make for them

what colors go good with giraffe print???

but i am sure that our time and money would be better spend on other things....of course i believe that this would be a matter of persnoal opinion...of the person with the money..on how they want to spend it...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
moraima_jay said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Angi said:
It looks too small to be real. Mini horses are not that small.

Some really are that small...tinier they are, the higher the price.

Saw a stallion at an auction some years back that was about 12" tall, went for $45K!

Most are taller, of course, and have much lower price tags.

Keep in mind, also, that the other horse in that pic is a draft horse, which are larger than riding horses...thus, greater size contrast...

wonder what the price for a lap giraffe would be??

No idea, but likely worth every centavo!

the waiting list is sooooooooooooooo long... i wonder if they produce tears if their gestation period is affected..and if they only eat bonsai leaves would feeding them hay be trouble???

Hmmm...interesting points!

and what happens if their bubble bath does not have the right amount of bubbles???
would that be considered an emergency....cuz they should not produce tears...
:p

This is a subject that needs, no DEMANDS, further research! :p

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
The real question is: how many people on here would be interested in cloned, genetically altered, miniature dinosaurs? (As described in one of the Jurassic Park novels). Who wouldnt want a mini triceratops in their home? Just imagine how quickly we would be arguing over humidity!

B K

5 Year Member
moraima_jay said:
zoogrl said:
Um, is this for real? Are there really mini giraffes that people are keeping as pets? Why aren't we spending our money, time, resources doing something MUCH more productive?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cure for cancer maybe? Or homeless shelters, wildlife conservation, alternative energy resources, etc you get my point. Sigh, I can't believe people. . . k, i'm off the box now.

and if it were true wouldnt it be also be hypocritical for us since we buy turts...that are being bred in captivity?? or what about all the breeders out there??

why not entertain the idea of having such a cute animal as a petite lap giraffe as a pet....they do look sooooooo cute...would love to have one....

wonder if they would make a clothes line for it like we have for our cats and dogs....lol...what would they look like...

I will Take 2

CtTortoise said:
The real question is: how many people on here would be interested in cloned, genetically altered, miniature dinosaurs? (As described in one of the Jurassic Park novels). Who wouldnt want a mini triceratops in their home? Just imagine how quickly we would be arguing over humidity!

ME ME ME ME

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
CtTortoise said:

Oh, hell yeah! I've wanted my own dinosaur since I was about 3 or 4! :cool:

In fact, my dream home would be in Bedrock, with all those cool labor-saving dino-devices! :p

article-1214489-067E1BBD000005DC-116_634x418.jpg

vaccuum.gif

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
CtTortoise said:

Humidity squabble! LOL. Bet it wouldn't take long. :)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Yep...Just pee'd my pants after reading this one.

My Uncle got rid of his Bettas and switched his 50 gallon over to salt water. He's got an inside scoop on a mini Humpback whale.

Terry, LOVE the Godzilla sig!!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I think it is reasonable to believe that something like this could be produced within my lifetime.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Those little guys are sooooo cute! Just imagine the fortune you would make, if you could really produce them. :D Now you have my imagination running wild trying to decide what one animal I would most like to keep, if they could be made so small.....

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Jacqui said:
Those little guys are sooooo cute! Just imagine the fortune you would make, if you could really produce them. :D Now you have my imagination running wild trying to decide what one animal I would most like to keep, if they could be made so small.....

I would want an elephant! OR a great white for my fish tank!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If I could choose one animal and have it stay tiny, it would for sure be a cat. Let me explain - I would want a cat that stayed the size of a six week old kitten and retained the looks and mannerisms of a six week old kitten ;) Can you just imagine?

Oh, and Mini horses can be pretty tiny. Here is a picture of my Belgian with my Haflinger and two Minis. (I have a thing for Chestnuts, lol.) I miss having horses.

2007_04110040.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I want an Egyptian tortoise :D Already a mini tort ;)
A mini elephant would be adorable.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Oh I would love to see it if it is real. If not the pic is sure cute. At the Ramona Fair a few years ago ( i was a jewelry vendor) a lady was telling my sister and I about her mini horses and zebras. I knew there was a zebra ranch near by, because they did a story in the news paper about 6 years ago on it. I drive by their mail box all the time, but the ranch is way off the road and up a hill. I would love to see it but it is not open to the public. They just show to prospective buyers. I am an awful liar so I could never pretend to be a buyer :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I don't wanna burst any bubbles, but if we COULD make a mini-giraffe that big, it probably would not look that much like a giraffe anymore... probably more like a small dog body with a somewhat elongated neck. The head would probably be pretty giraffy, though.

When you shrink things THAT much, the proportions start to get messed up. Look at the proportions of tiny deer or horses compared to the standard size as examples. The rule seems to be the smaller it gets, the more it starts to look like a rat!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Madkins007 said:
I don't wanna burst any bubbles, but if we COULD make a mini-giraffe that big, it probably would not look that much like a giraffe anymore... probably more like a small dog body with a somewhat elongated neck. The head would probably be pretty giraffy, though.

When you shrink things THAT much, the proportions start to get messed up. Look at the proportions of tiny deer or horses compared to the standard size as examples. The rule seems to be the smaller it gets, the more it starts to look like a rat!

Ah. yes...the Chihuahua Theory! :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yeah, but guys, this is the world of "what ifs", so our animals would be perfect little miniatures, not oddly shaped ones. :p :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Terry Allan Hall said:
Madkins007 said:

Ah. yes...the Chihuahua Theory! :p

I would want a little tiny APE.
Oh Mark you ruin everything.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
moraima_jay said:
zoogrl said:

I actually have a great sense of humor, I joke around all the time. But when a good friend of mine gets diagnosed with breast cancer and not even 12 months to live at age 27 with 2 young kids, I think it better for our resources to be used for something more productive. I just read this article after a rough day with her so not much humor flowing that day. I'm sorry to have vented my frustration here on the forum, I'll save it for my blog next time.

I have to say, if I saw one come in to the vet clinic I would be VERY excited to check it out. Do giraffes play with toys? OMG tiny giraffe clothes, that would be funny!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
YES! Pygmy Marmosets are the CUTEST thing ever!!!

So are Silky anteaters and Long Tailed possums.

Status
Not open for further replies.