My baby tortoise ate a rock...

AG2023

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus
So I've debated on posting this for the last 24 hours because I feel like the absolute WORST tortoise mom but my 5 month old baby Burmese Star Tortoise ate a small rock when we were outside yesterday. I was sitting on the ground with Bleu (baby tort) and before I could even get my fingers to it's mouth it was down the hatch. Bleu likes to chow down on anything outside so I clear out anything that isn't edible. I thought I had cleared all of the rocks in the area but Bleu was able to find one. As you can imagine I freaked out internally and externally for quite a bit and then turned to this forum for help. For reference the rock was slightly bigger than a golfball compared to a human. Bleu kept mowing down the grass in the yard after they swallowed the rock too so it didn't seem to bother them that badly.

I didn't sleep much last night and woke up in the morning and gave them a warm soak and they had the biggest poop and had their normal big appetite. I guess my question is, how normal is this for torts and will my baby tort pass this little rock? How long would it take for my tort to pass the rock?

Also, I do use reptical calcium & multivitamin supplements 2-3x a week but I saw people suggesting miner-all from amazon so I just ordered that last night. Again, I know I'm a horrible tort mom.. I feel so bad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I've debated on posting this for the last 24 hours because I feel like the absolute WORST tortoise mom but my 5 month old baby Burmese Star Tortoise ate a small rock when we were outside yesterday. I was sitting on the ground with Bleu (baby tort) and before I could even get my fingers to it's mouth it was down the hatch. Bleu likes to chow down on anything outside so I clear out anything that isn't edible. I thought I had cleared all of the rocks in the area but Bleu was able to find one. As you can imagine I freaked out internally and externally for quite a bit and then turned to this forum for help. For reference the rock was slightly bigger than a golfball compared to a human. Bleu kept mowing down the grass in the yard after they swallowed the rock too so it didn't seem to bother them that badly.

I didn't sleep much last night and woke up in the morning and gave them a warm soak and they had the biggest poop and had their normal big appetite. I guess my question is, how normal is this for torts and will my baby tort pass this little rock? How long would it take for my tort to pass the rock?

Also, I do use reptical calcium & multivitamin supplements 2-3x a week but I saw people suggesting miner-all from amazon so I just ordered that last night. Again, I know I'm a horrible tort mom.. I feel so bad.
I don't know how in the world anyone would remove all rocks from an outdoor enclosure... You are not a horrible tortoise Mom. At least not because of this.

It is fairly normal for them to do this. If they do it excessively, it can cause impaction. A few pebbles here and there is normal.

Rock eating is typically caused by a low fiber diet of grocery store greens, lack or calcium, or too much calcium supplementation. What do you feed your tortoise? Weeds and leaves, or spring mix and lettuce?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It may pass. Just feed correct diet, observe and soak in shallow warm water (high sided container that is not see through) to encourage poo and wee for 30 mins or more if you have time. In addition ensure correct environment and temperature as that can help digestion.

Do not beat yourself up. We have had tortoises reported who have eaten insulation and that passed! Just monitor closely. It is also good to weight on digital kitchen scales so you will know growth in weight loss and in your case stone loss! Keep us posted

AG2023

Columbus
I don't know how in the world anyone would remove all rocks from an outdoor enclosure... You are not a horrible tortoise Mom. At least not because of this.

It is fairly normal for them to do this. If they do it excessively, it can cause impaction. A few pebbles here and there is normal.

Rock eating is typically caused by a low fiber diet of grocery store greens, lack or calcium, or too much calcium supplementation. What do you feed your tortoise? Weeds and leaves, or spring mix and lettuce?
Tom, I was actually just reading your post about your Star tortoises. I was going to ask what you prefer to feed your babies. I typically feed Bleu Mazuri pellets, red or green lettuce, spring mix, carrots, cucumbers and hibiscus (on occasion), and I'm trying to get him interested in kale and aloe plant but he refuses to eat pretty much anything except the leafy greens. Anything new Bleu won't eat

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
When introducing new food chop it finely and mix it in with what he likes.