So I might be adopting a Greek

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Not being familiar with the species I browsed the care sheets and bombarded the owner with questions.

Here is what I know.

He/she was kept in a middle school office as a school pet for the last two years. Apparently a change to the office is reducing space and they decided they can't keep him. They believe he is approximately 7 years old.

His original owner bought him from a pet store.

His diet has been less than ideal. Romaine lettuce, green pepper, and shredded carrots apparently are his favorite. He has got calcium powder sprinkled onto his food a couple of times a week.

He had received zero soaks, but instead he has been misted down once a week.

He has been kept indoors on a 2x4 table with a mvb housed in a clamp light for a basking spot and UVB source. He had no idea on temps though.

I would probably keep him in that container for a transition period until I could build a bigger table. I would get rid of the clamp light on day one though. I would also start working immediately to shift him to a more appropriate diet.

I talked to the owner for over half an hour on the phone. He is going to talk it over with his wife and contact me within the next few days. Is there anything else I should be asking him? When/if I go to look at the tortoise is there anything specific I should be looking for?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure there is no nose or mouth discharge. That the eyes look clear. Make sure you see he can walk. Most these things can be cleared up with proper care. It just takes time and effort. If you get him, I would give him a nice long warm water soak. Change his diet to better items, you may have to slowly work the better diet in with the stuff he is used to eating. If you can get him some out time, that would really make for a better life. Good luck.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I will build him a covered outdoor pen next to my sulcata pen and on weather appropriate days he will be spending good chunks of time outdoors. What temperature range should I be looking to keep him outdoors in? Should I be looking to keep him outside the majority of summer? Or is small chunks of the day a better option?

I figure that introducing new food will be the one real struggle but I assume I'll get there.

I will look for the things you warned about. Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I will build him a covered outdoor pen next to my sulcata pen and on weather appropriate days he will be spending good chunks of time outdoors. What temperature range should I be looking to keep him outdoors in? Should I be looking to keep him outside the majority of summer? Or is small chunks of the day a better option?

I figure that introducing new food will be the one real struggle but I assume I'll get there.

I'd rather you kept him inside where it is safer for him. (Don't mean to frighten you, so please do not misunderstand me). ;)

Torts do take long to get adapted, even to a new diet, so please be patient. :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

If your Sulcata is fine outside, a Greek will be too :)

Mine is out 24/7 in England. See this
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
Congrats on getting a Greek!! I honestly love mine more than my wife's cat. I've had him for several years now. If you have any questions you can direct message me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Congrats on getting a Greek!! I honestly love mine more than my wife's cat. I've had him for several years now. If you have any questions you can direct message me.
looks like someone sleeping on the couch tonight. :)

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
In my house I can't stand her rabbit or her Guinea pigs. She can't stand my dobe.

I still haven't heard back from this guy. It sounded like he was having second thoughts on giving him up.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Well two full weeks after I had a conversation with this guy and I had pretty much written it off, but then he called me out of the blue tonight. So after everybody got out of work we drove 90 minutes to the east and picked up the newest member of our household.

Initial inspection seemed okay. The top of his shell has a little concave area, but other than that he seemed alert and active. I don't think he was too impressed with my inspection of him, but I've never been good with first impressions.

He was set up in an office of a Junior High School. So he saw lots of traffic and he had no hide at all. Apparently he just tucks himself into the corner. His food dish had a partially eaten green bean, a partially eaten chunk of green pepper, and a few pieces of greenery that looked like lettuce, and I was told he loves carrots. All of this had an awful heavy dusting of calcium powder on it. He also had a hay cube and came with some Zoo Med gourmet tortoise food and Zilla fortified land turtle and tortoise food. So apparently this was supplementing the other less then ideal foods.

Brought him home, made him a quick hide, and set up a mvb bulb on a timer for him tomorrow.

Tomorrow he starts his new and improved diet. He is either going to be super impressed or pretty much hate me. It is going to be a super busy day though, so no new changes for him other than food. He has made it this far as he is, so he will have to survive till Saturday and then I will put some time to improving his set up and care.

I will also post some pictures on Saturday. Maybe we can get a proper identification and sex of this little guy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
getting a hide probably makes him feel like he's gone to heaven.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He'll soon settle into his new and better life.:)
Say a big hello to him from me.
Look forward to the photos.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
The enclosure needs some work. The clamp light was just being clamped to the edge. I at least put a quick and dirty fix there to get it overhead. Today though he will have a semi permanent attached overhead lighting installed. Something that I can trust won't fall over and burn my house down.

I am planning on building him something a little bigger too. Plus building him a little better hide.

For night time heating what is the best thing? I use a che for night time heating for the sulcata, but that is an enclosed chamber. I was thinking about building a hide with a ceramic roof that has a heating pad attached to it and running off a thermostat. Something to keep his night time heat at about 75f.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The enclosure needs some work. The clamp light was just being clamped to the edge. I at least put a quick and dirty fix there to get it overhead. Today though he will have a semi permanent attached overhead lighting installed. Something that I can trust won't fall over and burn my house down.

I am planning on building him something a little bigger too. Plus building him a little better hide.

For night time heating what is the best thing? I use a che for night time heating for the sulcata, but that is an enclosed chamber. I was thinking about building a hide with a ceramic roof that has a heating pad attached to it and running off a thermostat. Something to keep his night time heat at about 75f.
Yep, I agree as far as the size of the enclosure is concerned: it should be larger.