So I clicked on an ad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
...here on TFO that looked like some dried fruit. The ad didn't say anything, but it looked weird and I wanted to know what it was. Anyway, it brought me here:

http://www.naturalnest.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/lang,en/

Umm..are people really eating BIRD'S NESTS? This is what I've gathered from clicking around and reading the site, but I just wanted to confirm that I'm not thoroughly confused :p On a side note, I am filipino, and if anyone knows what balut is, then you know we eat some weird things...but bird's nest? Really? Just odd I think..

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I have read somewhere of birdsnest pudding, but I am not sure if that's just an expression or a literal interpretation! ;)

I want to say that birdsnests are a Chinese delicacy (?)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've never heard, then, of Bird's Nest Soup sold at Chinese Restaurants? I'd guess its a certain kind of nest, and not one made of twigs and hair. Funny that this particular ad shows up right below your first post in this thread!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Google 'balut' and you'll see what 'weird' is :D. It tastes pretty good, but the texture is a bit off.

"Bird's nest soup" is made from the nest of one type of bird that makes it out of it's own saliva (kind of like how bees make their hives). When you cook it in soup it breaks apart for flavor and you get some jelly-like clumps floating around:
birds_nest_soup.jpg

I

Italianlnm

Isn't Balut, like an egg?

And Bird's nest soup and anything eaten with birdnests, is made from swollow nests.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Balut is an under developed duck egg. Depending on where you get your balut from [normally a streetside vendor] it will have some partially formed organs, and in some cases feathers...slluurrrrpp! My dad loves 'em and can eat a dozen at a time, but I can't even down them.

I don't think I'd enjoy any dish with "bird's nest" in it...Are they real nests that birds have lived in?

I

Italianlnm

I wouldn't be able to eat it.. No way jose.

And, Yep.. They have been made by birds.. but usually.. they are made on like bird farms (Not sure how to word that) Where they take care of the birds, the birds make nests, and before they have time to lay eggs they will take the nests.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Interesting. I have never heard of this!

emysemys said:
You've never heard, then, of Bird's Nest Soup sold at Chinese Restaurants? I'd guess its a certain kind of nest, and not one made of twigs and hair. Funny that this particular ad shows up right below your first post in this thread!
You know, I kind of just always assumed they didn't really mean a soup with a literal birds nest in it.

So the nests are made out of bird saliva? Who knew they could produce so much saliva to create an entire nest!

I

Italianlnm

Yes they are made with the bird's saliva, and when it is put in soup, or whatever it is being made with, the saliva will break apart/dissolve partially (into jell like stuff). That is where they flavors come from. I have never had it myself.. But I love oriental food, and Zac paid for me to take an oriental food class when we got married.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have heard of people eating partially developed duck eggs, but I did not know the name of it. I am guessing balut must be an aquired taste. as far as birds nest soup I have heard of it but i never knew it was made from real birds nest, always thought it was just a name, now I know of 2 things to avoid when travelling abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.