So I adopted the special needs sulcata today.....

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
@Alaskamike had a Redfoot who was not using her rear legs, he used water therapy to help her regain some mobility. Maybe he can advise - or you can search for the thread about "Bubbles Galore".

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Also, if you plan on placing the light on that screen, don't. The small screening filters out the UVB and this tortoise needs all he can get.
Only the heat lamps are on that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Unlike the rest, I would suggest actually making him move and get ecercise. Movement keeps so many of our body's systems working and you want those legs to be able to support him. With mine, I used several methods as he grew stronger to work on his muscle issues. I started with water therapy, then added things like walking in a sand pit, climbing over small branches, along with things like having to rip up his food and reach up and pull food down.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Unlike the rest, I would suggest actually making him move and get ecercise. Movement keeps so many of our body's systems working and you want those legs to be able to support him. With mine, I used several methods as he grew stronger to work on his muscle issues. I started with water therapy, then added things like walking in a sand pit, climbing over small branches, along with things like having to rip up his food and reach up and pull food down.
So would you suggest we go ahead and build an enclosure a bit larger then?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It would be easy for me sitting clear over here to tell you what to do, but you are there and can actually hands on see where this tortoise is at health wise. You might start small, but in my mind for almost all with few exceptions, I vote go bigger to start with. Saves you time and money in the long run and it should not be bad for him.

As I said in PM, these thoughts are based only on me having hands on with two animals (why I would like to find more of them, but at the same time hate wishing that on any tortoise) and reading about other tortoises with these issues.

It seems usually, once prime care is given these guys snap out of their more obvious problems. Meaning they gain body strength and mobility. Makes sense because to survive in the wild, they can not appear weak. However those pesky, life threatening issues are slower to improve and may even get worse, so always watch for them. It is because of this normal improvement in mobility, that I would go larger.

Prairie Mom

I think it would be really cool if owners with special needs tortoises came up with a thread where they can post updates and share special needs-specific advice and experience. I would love to see what everyone is up to!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a special needs sulcata that lived in a 6ft dia round tub inside for years. He has been here for 3 years now, I went with more space outside not knowing how this was going to effect him. I think I chose the right plan for his rehabilitation, It is a long process but he is doing great and is very active. He still walks different but can now lift up to not rub his bottom on the ground while walking longer distances, also has no problem reaching up high to reach food. This is the first pic I took of him.IMG_0008.jpg This pic shows how he can reach up, something he wouldn't do a couple years ago.sylviareachingup copy.jpg and the last pic is him and Walker,Sylvia and Walker.jpg His measurements were 19in long and 17in wide. Walker is a little bigger:) Just remember it may take a while to see the improvements. Not being able to tell which sex he was when he got here I ask my wife for a name and she said Sylvia, so Sylvia it is, but he is definitely a boy.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think it would be really cool if owners with special needs tortoises came up with a thread where they can post updates and share special needs-specific advice and experience. I would love to see what everyone is up to!
Love this idea!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a special needs sulcata that lived in a 6ft dia round tub inside for years. He has been here for 3 years now, I went with more space outside not knowing how this was going to effect him. I think I chose the right plan for his rehabilitation, It is a long process but he is doing great and is very active. He still walks different but can now lift up to not rub his bottom on the ground while walking longer distances, also has no problem reaching up high to reach food. This is the first pic I took of him.View attachment 153905 This pic shows how he can reach up, something he wouldn't do a couple years ago.View attachment 153904 and the last pic is him and Walker,View attachment 153903 His measurements were 19in long and 17in wide. Walker is a little bigger:) Just remember it may take a while to see the improvements. Not being able to tell which sex he was when he got here I ask my wife for a name and she said Sylvia, so Sylvia it is, but he is definitely a boy.
Thank you for sharing! How much has he grown in the 3 years you've had him?

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
I just commented on Herps Alive's facebook page that i would be willing to do some pickups for the foundation. I know Keith runs all over the state rescueing these animals and stays constantly busy with them. I am hoping to stop by their place this saturday for their halloween party. I'll probably bring Frank with me. I need to build him a costume though.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I just commented on Herps Alive's facebook page that i would be willing to do some pickups for the foundation. I know Keith runs all over the state rescueing these animals and stays constantly busy with them. I am hoping to stop by their place this saturday for their halloween party. I'll probably bring Frank with me. I need to build him a costume though.
I am not sure yet if I'll be at the Halloween party. But I'll let you know if I end up going!